Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wie Gehts?


I am teaching Bentley's Kindergarten class about Germany tomorrow because I qualify as someone who "spent considerable time there," per the teacher's request. Do three years as a toddler/preschooler count? I just wish that fluent Deutsch had stuck with me all these years later!

I am bringing my little girls donning their dirndls, my dad's lederhosen, my Nutcrackers, my antique "Ausgang" sign, some trusty pics, and Haribo Gummi Bears for everyone, of course. Did you know that HARIBO is an acronym for the inventor and the city where company headquarters is located--Hans Riegel, Bonn? Well now you do. The things you can learn on Wikipedia.

Just look at this screen shot of their website's homepage. My parents and siblings will love this simply for the tagline. Oh, and Chandler will love it too. He is way into his wife (my big sis) teaching his kids this cool German phrase:


Tomorrow I am also teaching the children a simplified version of a German folk dance I learned at BYU. It's called Die Hammerschmiedsgesell'n. It's a fun and easy dance with an impossible title. Very German...

I also came across this as I surfed the web for pictures:

Neuschwanstein Castle

Anyone up for a trip to Bavaria with me? It has been 16 years since I have been there and I am due.


One more thing. Check out this beauty my hubby just made for all the Kindergartners. Fun:




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

so fun! My mom served in Austria and we were always immersed in that kind of stuff as kids.

Anonymous said...

Wunderbar! I want to print out the Germany chart and fill it in! Did you want me to come sing some songs for his class? I hope you are playing 99 Luftbalons. Auchgezeichnet!

Ich habe Deustchland gern.

Krista said...

oh I love it. What fun things to share. I also am loving the pic joseph put together. Clever clever. I would love to have been a part of this class for the day.

Heidi said...

I want to be in beans class so I can join the German fun! Can I use the baby dirndl after livs is too big?

Bobbi said...

Viel Gluck, Carrie! Don't we love Germany?! Didn't know that about HARIBO. It's time for a trip back to the castles and the Alps (together). I remember our very last day in Garmisch, looking at all of you and thinking that we would probably never be there together again, and the heartbreaking homesickness of that thought. Somehow that foreign country had become home, and beloved. I am glad that, although you were so young, you have retained affection for Deutschland and are sharing it with your family and others.

Stacey said...

Carrie, (Tye here) thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your research (did not know that about Haribo!) about Germany. That experience seems like it happened so long ago, but when I hear the words and think of the culture it seems so close to my heart. A part of me wants so desperately to live in Germany again some day. It is truly home and I miss it so much. When Stacey told me your post was about Germany I hesitated to read it because I knew it would be emotional for me. Here I am crying thinking about how awesome that experience was, and how close we all were as a family during those trying, amazing times.
Ich habe auch Deuthschland ganz gern.

Mariposa said...

so...i am SUPER surprised that you didn't ask me to help you teach the folk dance. what gives?

Maggie said...

Ich liebe es!!! Wir haben gestern ein Buch auf Deutsch gelesen.

Lizzy said...

You two are so creative! Above and beyond the norm! Love it! Beans is a lucky little boy!