Thursday, February 18, 2010

To My Baby

February 18th, 2009


February 18th, 2010
We have skipped town in search of sunny skies and warm weather.
Mission accomplished in St George. It is gorgeous here.


Dearest Olivia Ann (aka Liver Lous, Livvie Skivvies, Livvies, Liver Maniver, Livs),

Today you are exactly 1 year old. And I am stunned at how swiftly the time has flown. One year ago I held you in my arms, in the wee hours of the morning when I first met you, and discovered you to be my beautiful new daughter. I was thrilled to meet you and you captured my heart from the very beginning.


An hour or so after your birth, at roughly 4:00 am, your nurses whisked you away for your routine check-up, more testing and your first bath. This gave me a chance a catch a few hours of some much needed sleep. And I crashed hard. But I woke around 7:30 as your nurse brought you back to me--and I was so very ready to see you. She told me your temperature had been dropping just a degree or 2 every so often and that I should bundle you tight and snuggle you close to me as much as possible to keep you warm, something I was all too happy to do for you. And me. I lifted you into my bed, nestled you in my arms, and we were both back to sleep. We took many naps like that throughout the day and it was pure heaven for me. I loved seeing you, smelling you, nursing you, inspecting you, cooing over you and basking in your newness and purity.

We shared the day together in our calm and very quiet room. I think I turned the TV on for about 5 minutes and then realized I wasn't even interested. We were both exhausted and really, all I wanted was your warm and nuzzling infant body resting on mine.
We had a few visitors that day and I took a quick shower while they held you and marveled over you. Around dinner time Daddy and Bentley and Cares arrived and things certainly livened up! Oh, those siblings were just so excited to meet you and hold you and ask a hundred and one questions about you. They were very tender and sweet with you. They have loved you from the very beginning too.

Olivia, you are such a gift in my life, in Daddy's life, and in our family as a whole. You are happy and bright, saucy and fun, beautiful and very blonde, and completely lovable. I love all that makes you my unique little 1-year-old girl: your swift army-crawling, squished-nose smiles and snorts, full-body loves and hugs, the jabbering that ensues just before you fall asleep, your endless appetite, and mad dashes to bury your face in the pillows anytime you are up on my big bed.


I love you tiny girl. And happiest, happy birthday on this, your very first one.

--Your adoring Mommy



6 comments:

Krista said...

that is sooooo sweet care. I loved how you nestled her in her early hours to get her warm and you both could sleep. That is what is a good word...beautiful. Happy birthday livy skivvies. :) I like that nickname.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Livs! You are my little twin to Connor and we both adore you.

Sweet letter Care. Aren't those moments in the quiet hospital the best? It is the only place to tune out the world and daily life for a few moments and soak in the newness and the miracle of those babies.

Lizzy said...

What a sweet post Carrie! And what a sweet baby! Happy Birthday little one!

Heidi said...

I too love the hours in the hospital to cuddle and sleep with the babe. Olivia is such a sweet little lady. I can't wait for her to be playmate to my baby girl soon. Happy One Year!!

Joseph said...

Cute rascal baby Livs,

I'm sad I didn't get to see you more on your birthday. But St. George is quite a fun birthday surprise. I hope you will sleep well for mom and give her lots of open mouth sloppy slobber kisses. See you soon!

- your absentee father

Bobbi said...

Beautiful letter to your darling girl, Carrie! She is lucky to have such an adoring and caring mom--and family. Although she is quite blonde, I still think of her as dark brunette! Maybe she will return to that someday like her mother. She is a sweet baby girl, we are all so glad to have her around!