Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Heart Broadway

I don't know what it is but I am craving a good Broadway show these days. And I'm realizing as I'm typing it must have something to do with that fact that I have been singing my favorite tunes to Livs at bedtime the past few days. So many amazing songs to sing--I love a good musical. They always remind me of my days living in London when I could pop over to Les Mis or Beauty and the Beast any night of the week and grab a last minute, student rate ticket for like 15 pounds--such a steal!

I now feel compelled to make a list. And then I will have to make a new Broadway Favorites playlist so I can revel in all of these songs again. I wonder if I have all of them in my iTunes...

10) I Still Believe--Miss Saigon
9) Another Suitcase--Evita
8) Close Every Door--Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
7) This is the Moment--Jekyll and Hyde
6) Music of the Night--The Phantom of the Opera
5) On My Own--Les Miserables
4) Defying Gravity--Wicked
3) Seasons of Love--Rent
2) Race you to the Top of the Morning--The Secret Garden
1) Endless Night--The Lion King



I love that song so much. It holds a special spot in my heart, as does that whole show. It is the most beautiful and creative musical I have ever seen. A story for the ages for sure and one that will never get old for me. So now I need to find myself a ticket to see it! And since I am pretty sure the Salt Lake run in sold out next month, I will just have to find a way to see it in Vegas sometime. I really want to take Bentley and Caroline too...but we shall see.

My list is a good one (if I do say so myself :) but certainly not complete (I didn't want to double up from any one musical even though many of those have 3 or 4 amazing songs). What am I missing?

8 comments:

ba and the boys said...

i heart musicals too! i cant sing-but that never stops me! 'kiss me kate' (i heart cole porter) has some of the best. music/lyrics. ever.
then you have your 'romance/romance', that isnt for every one. i adore '1776' and 'baby' but i think those are more because of the people i saw in them rather than the actualy show.
'into the woods' and anything with burnadette peters or kristin chenoweth...
ok-i really should do a post myself rather than posting a HUGE comment on yours...

Krista said...

That's funny. I've so wanted to go to one too but the only one playing is "dream girls" here until march then the broadways pick up some speed...boo they should do a lot more in the winter here in my opinion.
I also started to listen to les mis the other day. It was wonderful. I love the songs that you listed too. Great songs. Never seen rent though. I don't think I've ever felt like seeing it either. Maybe you can convince me.

Krista said...

ps I like purple too and I think you'd look fabulous in that outfit. post below btw.

Heidi said...

I think you should bring Beans and Cares to see Lion King before I move away. I think they would love it! I am craving to see it myself again.

I too love Broadway, probably because of my older sisters singing it all the time as I was growing up. I haven't yet sung any of it to Max. I wonder what Ben would think of that ;-) he he

Anonymous said...

Ever since the days of my broadway mix tape from Mindy Hunter, I have loved listening to and singing along with great Broadway music. I wonder if I could recreate that mix...I know you know which songs are on there because you would sing along with me!

Lion king is a must with my kids while it is in Vegas. I wanted to do it this week but one show is enough for our kids at once. I know Beatles LOVE isn't broadway but I love the music and I am so excited to take my kids! Only one more day!

LeBaron Family said...

I love musicals too!
I'm so excited because I get to see The Lion King Musical this summer! Tom surprised me and bought us tickets!

Bobbi said...

Great list, Carrie!

Angela Jensen said...

Beauty and the Beast : Home

Also you guys need to check out In The Heights-- it's like a Latino Rent without the drugs and std's

We'll meet you in NYC anytime.