Friday, February 5, 2010

Thank You Mr. Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest. What a silly and clever and totally entertaining play that is. Joseph and I saw it last night and it was such fun. Allow me to refresh your memory of (or introduce you to) the witty charm of Oscar Wilde:

In this scene Algernon is posing as the quite fictional younger brother of his good friend Jack--a man named Ernest. Jack has a ward, the young and precocious Cecily, over whom he is guardian. Algernon has just learned of his friend's hidden charge and decides to visit the country to meet her--all while posing as Ernest...

ALGERNON: ...I don't care for anybody in the whole world but you. I love you, Cecily. You will marry me, won't you?
CECILY: You silly boy! Of course. Why, we have been engaged for the last three months.
ALGERNON: For the last three months?
CECILY: Yes, it will be exactly three months on Thursday.
ALGERNON: But how did we become engaged?
CECILY: Well, ever since dear Uncle Jack first confessed to us that he had a younger brother who was very wicked and bad, you of course have formed the chief topic of conversation between myself and Miss Prism. And of course a man who is much talked about is always very attractive. One feels there must be something in him, after all. I daresay it was foolish of me, but I fell in love with you, Ernest.
ALGERNON: Darling! And when was the engagement actually settled?
CECILY: On the 14th of February last. Worn out by your entire ignorance of my existence, I determined to end the matter one way or the other, and after a long struggle with myself I accepted you under this dear old tree here. The next day I bought this little ring in your name, and this is the little bangle with the true lover's knot I promised you always to wear.
ALGERNON: Did I give you this? It's very pretty, isn't it?
CECILY: Yes, you've wonderfully good taste, Ernest. It's the excuse I've always given for your leading such a bad life. And this is the box in which I keep all your dear letters. [Kneels at table, opens box, and produces letters tied up with blue ribbon.]
ALGERNON: My letters! But, my own sweet Cecily, I have never written you any letters.
CECILY: You need hardly remind me of that, Ernest. I remember only too well that I was forced to write your letters for you. I wrote always three times a week, and sometimes oftener.
ALGERNON: Oh, do let me read them, Cecily?
CECILY: Oh, I couldn't possibly. They would make you far too conceited. [Replaces box.] The three you wrote me after I had broken of the engagement are so beautiful, and so badly spelled, that even now I can hardly read them without crying a little.
ALGERNON: But was our engagement ever broken off?
CECILY: Of course it was. On the 22nd of last March. You can see the entry if you like. [Shows diary.] 'To-day I broke off my engagement with Ernest. I feel it is better to do so. The weather still continues charming.'
ALGERNON: But why on earth did you break it off? What had I done? I had done nothing at all. Cecily, I am very much hurt indeed to hear you broke it off. Particularly when the weather was so charming.
CECILY: It would hardly have been a really serious engagement if it hadn't been broken off at least once. But I forgave you before the week was out.
ALGERNON: [Crossing to her, and kneeling.] What a perfect angel you are, Cecily.
CECILY: You dear romantic boy. [He kisses her, she puts her fingers through his hair.] I hope your hair curls naturally, does it?
ALGERNON: Yes, darling, with a little help from others.
CECILY: I am so glad.
ALGERNON: You'll never break off our engagement again, Cecily?
CECILY: I don't think I could break it off now that I have actually met you. Besides, of course, there is the question of your name.

So maybe you should just see it for yourself--YouTube has the entire movie broken into several 9 minute segments. Check out the first few minutes of this one (should sound familiar if you read above...)



We saw the play at Hale Center Theater and it was very well done. Too bad Algie didn't quite have Rupert Everett's gorgeous hair...but then again who does? Besides Rupert of course...

7 comments:

Joseph said...

Babe, it's not like we need a play by play. :)

That was a lot of fun last night. Thanks for the date!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask you about the play when I was with you today! Of course, I was only with you for a few minutes, and was trying to focus on my shopping before my hubby arrived to meet for lunch. A little distracted on my part but I had meant to ask...so thank you for posting a little about the play. Was the date night fun?

I am always struck when I see my name in print because it is so rare. We had to read this play in high school. I haven't seen it though so maybe I should. Or maybe I should just play Cecily, since it would come so easily to me :-).

Anonymous said...

Joe, you are funny. So funny.

Heidi said...

I have read that play twice and love the movie (that version). How fun to see the play- was it Pioneer Theatre?

Joseph said...

Heid, it was Hale Center Theather. The actors did a really great job. The only thing that threw us was Jack W. looked an awful lot like Jon Lovitz.

Krista said...

oh fun! I'd love to hear the updates of Hale throughout the season, although I wish I could have been your 3rd wheel again. sniff. Then joseph would go get me his huge jacket in that freezing place and make you wonder why he was getting me a jacket and not you! You were cold too. :) Was it freezing this time?

Flori said...

I love this play too. One of my favorite book groups ever was when we read this play aloud, with all of us taking different parts. We had a tea party along with it, with herbal tea, scones, muffins (of course) and other little goodies. It was really fun and I think it would be a fun (and unusual) couples date night too!