Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In the Kitchen

It has been a long time since I treated my family to a delicious homemade dinner. Don't get me wrong, we have eaten at home plenty, things like pasta, pancakes, and even chicken enchiladas (ala Costco). But I haven't felt motivated to cook or bake since our return from Phoenix. I think it has to do with soccer practices picking back up and the fact that we only have 1 night a week when there is nothing going on.

Last night though, we feasted on chicken crepes and carrot cake (thank you for the new recipe Krista!) Both were amazing and the kids ate tons. But I was tired last night! I realized that for a meal like that I was in the kitchen from 2:00 pm on (with a school and soccer practice carpool mixed in). I am so jealous of anyone who has a hubby around early in the evenings or older kids who can actually help without constant supervision or entertain children--equally important. Bentley and Cares set the table, as well as young ones can, and thankfully, Joseph did all the dishes once he was home (and there were tons...)

Later that night I told my hubby that I had no idea how his mom ever had the energy to cook lovely meals for 10 people every night. I also said I would never be like her and able to make amazing dinners night after night. He replied that they totally had nights eating mac'n'cheese, eggs and bacon, and fast food too. I felt quite relieved to hear that. I do take great pride in creating a savory meal for my family but it's a lot of work (and let's be honest, not my most favorite thing to do). I think I need to aim for one great meal every week and the rest can be quick and easy, or Cafe Rio of course.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

My rule is the oPposite- one easy dinner a week and the rest homemade. But that is because I LOVE cooking and spending time in the kitchen. There are a lot of great meals that you can make in the crock pot too sis and not have to spend an entire afternoon in the kitchen.

I want the carrot cake recipe!

Krista said...

good job care!!! ditto on the crock pot recipes or making up extra batches of enchiladas, lasagna, ckn tortilla soup and freezing them for later. Even meats I use half and freeze the rest for later as I prepare them. A major time saver. I love pulling them out the day before and thinking how easy my next day will be. We rarely go out to eat. So it is a major treat when we go out for me. :) Ah, the life of poor students. I guess I enjoy cooking for the most part too. not dishes though.

Bobbi said...

I remember almost always using that afternoon naptime to prepare dinner, because after school was way too chaotic with carpools and piano practicing, scouts and homework, etc. Washingoing dishes is crummy after you have already been on your feet for hours preparing the food, so nice of Joseph to pitch in. And I am so GLAD to hear that amazing RuthAnn didn't always make fabulous meals for her family. I'm with you, I haven't really enjoyed cooking, but now with the quiet time alone, I am starting to try new things and enjoying the process. Still hate the dishes. And I think you are a very good cook!

Anonymous said...

I love cooking but am finding it so hard because of the other demands on my time. I am anxious to get back to that. I think I will also be making that cake!

Megan B ♥ said...

Spending the time and energy and then having someone(s) turn their nose up at it is so discouraging. Ingrates. We have started doing a dinner exchange with two other families and so far I am in love. We get at least three great meals per week, and two of them I don't have to make myself. I think this is a positive move. I'll let you know.