Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blankie Babes

Oh how my children adore their blankies. All 3 of them drag at least one out of bed with them every morning. And I feel like I spend the rest of the day tossing them back into bedrooms, out of the dress-up pile and off of the kitchen chairs--mostly so we know where they are that critical bedtime hour. It is such a sweet (and daily) sight to see my children snuggling their blankies. If Bentley spots his green one at any hour of the day he scoops it up and buries his face in it, rubbing it under his nose. It's such a silly but endearing little habit. And little Livs is following right in her siblings' footsteps. She even loves to bury her face in their blanks and then pick them up and hand-deliver them to Bentley and Cares. She knows which one belongs to which child and she enjoys that little chore immensely.

When I read these words in Real Simple a few days ago, they resonated so strongly with me:

"My kids are 16 and 20 now, and their blankies represent what I think of as a simpler time--even if, in reality, it wasn't that simple. But there were those moments--early in the morning, late afternoon, before bedtime--that their blankies bring me back to; the coziness of a momentarily quiet child curling up in my arms. I was their protector and, along with blankie, their source of comfort and security."

Such sweet sentiments--they brought me to tears. One day, all too soon I fear, I will miss those blankies strewn about the house and especially miss those small, warm bodies who carried them around and up onto my lap.

I am happy today is not that day.


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Livs is taking after her mom by distributing blankies to older siblings ;-)

The past few days Sadie has started hugging her blankie. I too love when babes LOVE their blankies.

Krista said...

Oh that is so sweet. I love the real simple thought too.

Joseph said...

I love their baby blankies too, but what's worse than when you've already been laying with one of the kids for a few minutes and they sit upright "Where's my white blankie?!". And then you have to search the whole house for it until you inevitably find it crammed inside an ottoman in the basement, or some other random hiding place.

Also, are blankies just for babies? Some adults hold on to tiny shreds of their baby blankies... And their husbands think it's kind of endearing.

Anonymous said...

Joe's comment is the best...he knows you too well.

Those blankies are endearing and I love cuddling up with my little ones as they cuddle with their blankies.

Connor can't be without the big AND little "nahney (phonetically spelled)" and his binky, or "ninney."
Eth just stopped bringing his blanky upstairs with him in the morning, and he doesn't take it on trips anymore. It is sad to see him pass through the phase because it makes him seem so grown-up.

Bobbi said...

So sweet! And I do remember that little scrap of faded pink polka dot blankie...