Monday, August 16, 2010

Anatomy of a Race

...a first time beginner's race, of course:

Herriman Blackridge:
Swim: 500 yds
Bike: 14 miles
Run: 3.1 miles

(the shorter swim earned us some extra miles on the bike)

Good morning! We were totally psyched to get in that crispy cool water. I was begging the sun to finally rise so it would warm me up.

Up it came--just as we adjusted to the water and got ready to really, finally start. I swear those 90 mins or so before the race actually started felt like hours on end. I was sooo ready to go!

and then I held back for just a few seconds because I did not want to get kicked in the face--and it worked out just fine that way
(I'm in the back right corner--starting my watch as I ran into the water)

out of the water and on to my bike. I was smiling because I was thrilled to have part 1 all done. Also, I knew Seth was taking pictures :)

About 5 seconds before this photo was taken I was putting my socks on and totally stumbled over. I had no idea how dizzy I was until I tried to balance on one leg. Luckily, Seth was snapping shots and caught me before I totally crashed. And Mary was right by me in her transition and could laugh it off with me.

I'm off with my bike!

I had to add this picture of my mom in here because I love it. Do you think she's happy to be done with that swim and finally on her bike?

Finishing the bike course. I was loving that ride because I rocked that little hill I was so stressed about--it helped to have so many other bikers around me riding up it like it was no big deal--so the competitor in me just wouldn't let up.

And finally on the home stretch. I don't know why every smile that day was basically just a big open mouth--random...

Crossing the finish line!

and done!


My cute kids (and hubby) made me these fun signs

I was so happy to see them all there at the end.
Look at cute Bentley--he was way into cheering me on!

Kristin and me

My awesome neighbors

All in all it was a great race. Not the fastest or most graceful by any means, but good. It would have helped if it hadn't been that lovely time of the month, and the fact that just about 1/2 mile from the finish line my left eye totally went blurry as a migraine hit. I could hardly see anything as I ran that last stretch--made for an interesting finish...but I was so happy to be done and see my darling little family cheering me on!

Thanks Heid and Mom for paving the way and encouraging me to try one of these. And thanks for going for it with me, Mary, and trying something hard and totally new!

Herriman mamas--thanks for letting me be a part of your club on Saturday!

Joseph--thank you so very much for helping me escape so often for training. It is tricky business being a full-time mom and getting ready for one of these and all too often you so graciously did bedtime alone with all 3 kids as I biked or ran, and took the kids almost every single Saturday morning of the summer so I could train--sometimes for a few hours. I promise to return the favor should a triathlon spark your interest...but then I'll just want to do one with you :)




7 comments:

Krista said...

This post almost makes me want to do a tri (it is the swimming part that gets me.) I love your kids holding up a cute sign to cheer for you and it looks like you had such a great time.

Heidi said...

Woohoo! This was fun to read. I actually was about to ask you last week if you were on your period. I was during mine, and it was a pain, literally (not to mention you-know-what was seriously falling out by the end). TMI? ha ha

So proud of you Care. You look are a super hot and tan momma!

Anonymous said...

Love that sign your kiddos made. What fun to know that they were waiting for you at the end!

Sorry about the period and migraine situation...why do those come at such terrible times?

Bobbi said...

I love your smile! Such a great feeling of accomplishment, just having done the training and finishing the race. The headache and the period are so unfair, and still you continued. I'm way proud of you, Carrie. And of your great hubby who continues to fulfill his promise to his father-in-law to support you in accomplishing things in your life.
I loved being a part of this with you and Mary. I'm v. slow, but I finally finished, and I loved your support (and all the LeBarons--what neat people they are--love them!). Thanks to Seth for his photography, he was so kind to wait for me out of the pond and cheer me on!

Flori said...

I'm with Krista--this *almost* makes me want to do one. You make it look easy peasy! I'm so proud of all of you for accomplishing such an awesome goal!

Heidi C said...

Congrats Carrie! I love races it was fun to see you try something new! And I am amazed Bobbi did it! It is impressive you did it with three little kids but I must say that is great about your mom also.

Megan B ♥ said...

Congrats, Carrie (and all the other neighbor mommies!) So proud of all of you!