Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spring Cleaning










I have had a bug this week--the spring cleaning bug. Suddenly, on Monday afternoon while driving home from playtime at Cec's house I felt compelled to start sorting out the messes in my house. While Caroline napped on Monday, Bentley and I went through all the kids' toys and separated them into 4 piles: keep, donate, throw out and store as "baby toys." It felt so amazing and Bentley's room suddenly looked much cleaner. On Tuesday I started working on Caroline's closet doing the same kind of organizing and once she went to bed for the night I tackled Bentley's closet.

By Wednesday, I felt sad that I hadn't been documenting how organized I was getting. So, before starting on my own closet, I just had to capture some 'before' pictures. By posting these I realize that I am revealing how messy I can let things get--yikes! Don't judge me for my piles and clutter :) At least I am in the mode of getting rid of them right?

Cleaning out my closet ending up taking 2 days to finish but by Thursday afternoon, all was in order. Except that I had a brand new, huge bruise forming on my shin from falling off of my apparently unstable chair to reach the high shelves. I can be such a clutz :)

**Favorite possession I finally gave up to charity: my blue, floral, GAP duffel bag. I have seriously had that thing since my sophomore year...of high school!! I have kept if for half of my life! And the great thing is that it is in very good shape even though I still use it all the time--it's the perfect bag for weekends in SG, Lake Powell trips and overnight stays at the cabin. It was just about 3 years ago that I reached into a forgotten pocket in it after a weekend trip and found a handout and decorative black and white ribbon I had saved from a Pep Club retreat. Classic--that was 12 years ago! Such a good bag. Joseph bought me a new one for my birthday because he is totally sick of seeing it. I probably would have kept it had he not found me a new one :)

5 comments:

Krista said...

oh oh...pass that bug to me!
I love the before and after pics, I'm a total sucker for them. Sorry about the bruise. ouch. Looking awesome and if you want to donate toys here you are welcome too! :)

Heidi said...

Ooooh that looks like so much fun! I wish I could have come help you. I am dying over that bag- I can't believe you still have it (well, had).

Flori said...

You should save some shoes for Maddie (if they're not at DI already!)She's wearing a size 7 already! I remember I LOVED it when my aunt Andrea cleaned her closets and would give me her ultra cool hand me downs.
Way to motivate us all!

Anonymous said...

Now you should post a picture of your bruise because it is huge!!! I am sorry you got hurt but how great to have completed some big projects! I love stuff like that and I really feel like I am finally getting some things done around here (amazing how that happens when you stick around the house...I really need to stop going out of town). Thanks for helping me go through Maddie's closet...I can't wait to see Cares in some of Maddie's fun things!

Maggie said...

I'm impressed and inspired. I think my closet is my next task. WHat a great feeling.