Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ode to the Subaru

It's long overdue. But we have officially been without that little blue car for 2 months now so it's time to pay my respects. Don't get me wrong--I am very happy to have a shiny, new, leak-free vehicle in my garage but "Subie" had been a part of my life for over 10 years. Man that car brings back a lot of memories.

I first got the Subaru just days before I moved down to BYU as a freshman. I proudly showed it off to my girlfriends and had no idea what that car had in store for it. It was certainly a witness to tons of teenage drama during those first few years I owned it :) It was also a link to my big sis who shared it with me a few days a week so she could commute to work in SLC and then pick me up in Provo afterward so we could hit Gold's Gym together. It was also the vehicle of my very first road trip down to St George with tons of college friends freshman year, and the vehicle which took groups of friends to the cabin for sleepovers and on camping trips that summer. Subie witnessed several kisses, tears like crazy, spying on boys with Alyson, Emily, and Angela, singing at the top of my lungs, and many glorious 'mini-fights' with my brand-new husband (something about the Provo to SLC commute that just brought out our issues...don't worry--we got over them...mostly :)

The Subaru moved to Phoenix with us and Joseph and I shared it for a year before purchasing an additional car. That's when I pulled a mean trick and made Joseph drive it while I got the new car since his commute to work was about 2 miles and mine, to ASU, was about 20. He willingly obliged and for the past 6 years he put up with it as its condition worsened with time and all the mileage packed on from road trips between Provo and SLC, Phoenix and SLC, and Phoenix and Lake Powell.

It was a good little car and sustained some serious beatings: from one of the rocks near the driveway of the LeBaron's old Holladay house (let's just say I was driving away in haste when Joseph made me mad during our dating days :), from a curb at the end of my parent's street when Heidi borrowed the car as a newly licensed driver, from the non-stop Arizona sunshine while parked at ASU, Catapult, and CPA Market, from a huge tree splitting apart during a classic AZ monsoon and falling smack dab onto the Subaru's hood and windshield, and lastly, a 'renegade' trailer-hitch (ask Joseph...)

So many good times. Anyone else want to share a favorite memory of "Subie?"

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Care that picture is classic- I am lovin the totally 90s dress you are wearing.

Anyway, I think Subie's best adventure was definitely when I crashed it a few days after getting my license. I learned a very valuable lesson that day.

I really can't believe you have had Joe driving it for so many years. Subie is definitely in a better place now ;-)

Anonymous said...

I spent many hours in that car and I loved that commute because it gave me about 90 minutes a day where I could be by myself to sort through my thoughts and sing along to Care's mixes. I loved trying to find Subie in the dorm parking lot when it was my day to take it. And I loved that it would bring you to my house during our years in Provo and then our years in Phoenix. Good ole Subie.

The picture is totally classic!

Bobbi said...

What a good investment that car was! We are glad it was put to good use for so many years. Joe totally deserves his new car!

Bobby said...

"Little Blue Sub, you don't know, you don't know what I got"

Bobby said...

Yes, Bobby posted after Bobbi again!

Joseph said...

Subaru, you had a propensity for draining batteries. We had some awkward moments, but in the end, I guess we just wanted different things. I wanted you to start, and you wanted to sit there with a stupid look on your bumper. It's ok that you couldn't hold your freon, or your oil. Most of us won't be able to in our old age either.

You weren't always firing on all cylinders. But 3 out of 4 is not bad. I regret having to smack you across the dashboard, but I honestly didn't know how else to stop your constant rattling. It sometimes hurt me more than it hurt you. You were very brave when that Phoenix vagrant broke your window and stripped you of all that was precious... the new CD player. I can't say I really miss you, but I'm sure you'll always have a special place in the Young Pontiac dealership parking lot.