Monday, May 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Bentley

I love my little boy! And I am so excited for him to celebrate his birthday (in 3 installments I might add--lucky kid :) He has been eagerly waiting for this day for several months now.

Bentley is a fabulous little boy mix of wild and mild. He always has a lot to say and is filled with funny little boy quips which keep us laughing--and he knows it! He loves to jump, bounce, run and play, and enjoys working with Joseph and me in the yard. He dons gardening gloves, digs up weeds, and waters plants with the watering can--and always does so with a lot of care and patience. I love his little voice and the fluctuations in it as he asks questions. I love to hear him playing with his toys--the conversations his cars, blocks and animals have are so endearing. I hope I can remember them forever--they reveal such happy innocence and a wonderful imagination.

Last year, when we brought our brand new baby girl home, little Bentley faced quite a challenge. His stable world turned upside down and it was hard for him to share attention with this tiny, boring baby. I am very proud of Bentley for learning to show her so much love and concern even though it is still hard to share the spotlight and favorite toys :) He really is quite taken with her and loves to go in her room after her naps and in his highest, sweetest voice say, "hi baby girl--did you have a good rest?"

During the past 3 years, there have been hundreds of wonderful moments with my Beans. Some favorites: the day he came into the world and made me a mommy, swimming with him in Phoenix at the end of the summer when the pool at Williamsburg Square was nice and hot, moving to Utah and discovering what a great traveler he was, helping him take his first steps across our living room floor, Tom and Jessica's wedding where he wore a little boy Tuxedo and was honestly the cutest thing ever, our Hawaii trip last spring where he experienced dolphins, the ocean, and catamaran rides for the very first time.

Bentley has always been an amazing sleeper, just like his daddy. He is very smart, very silly and very helpful--always eager to unload the dishwasher, help make his lunch, and clean up Caroline's toys. He loves beef jerky, the movie "Cars," Hot Wheels, trucks, construction vehicles and tractors, blocks, puzzles, books, chocolate milk and his blankie. I am so grateful that Bentley is mine and that I get to be a part of his life forever. He is my sweet "bean burrito" and I love him!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love Bean Burrito! Seeing him come into this world ranks as one of my favorite moments in my life. I have loved watching him grow and develop into a sweet, wild, funny boy who still runs on his tip-toes at full speed to hug me when he comes over. I know that he and Maddie will be good friends and I can see him being very protective of all of the younger girls (Caroline and all of his cousins) when he is older. I feel like he is almost one of my kids because I have been able to spend so much time with him and I hope he always feels welcome and comfortable here. Happy Birthday cute boy!

Heidi said...

I love Beans!!!! I am so glad he came into this world too. The day he wore a baby tux was so precious and cute- I loooove that photo. I also love that he will come running to hug me whenever I see him. Even since he was tiny and probably didn't remember me! He has great enthusiasm for life and people. He is a comedian too and I know he will always keep us entertained!

Catherine said...

I love that me and Bentley share the same birthday! Happy Birthday to Bentley. Thanks for your sweet words on Cec's site. I love the pictures of Bentley...especially in his tux! So cute.

Katherine said...

Could he be any cuter?! I can't wait to see Bentley and Caroline this summer! (And you too, of course!!) Great post about a darling little guy. He will love to read that when he gets older.