Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To Be a Disciple

I was cleaning out the Sunday bag and found some notes from Joseph's sunday school lesson a few weeks back. He brought in some great quotes from both Elder Oaks and Elder Bednar about being truly converted and not just going through the motions as a latter-day saint. Just wanted to remember these fine words from Elder Bednar—I think they truly capture what it means to be a disciple of Christ:

"In our customary Church vocabulary we often speak of going to church, going to the temple, and going on a mission. Let me be so bold as to suggest that our rather routine emphasis on going misses the mark.

The issue is not going to church; rather, the issue is worshipping and renewing covenants as we attend church. The issue is not going to the temple; rather, the issue is having in our hearts the spirit , the covenants, and the ordinances of the Lord's house. The issue is not going on a mission; rather, the issue is becoming a missionary and serving throughout our entire life with all our heart, might, mind and strength..."







2 comments:

Heidi said...

This reminds me of a beautiful song our primary sang this year at our program. It is called "I will BE what I believe" and was written by a dad in our ward, one of the ortho residents actually. He based it around two talks, one of which was by Elder Oaks (probably the same one you refer too). I am going to try to get a link to the video of it.

Anonymous said...

Love this. And I needed to be reminded of it. Right now I am focused on the getting somewhere (a huge accomplishment most days with as many kids as I have) but once I am there, am I doing the things that are important? Thanks for this.

Heid, I want to hear this song!