Monday, March 28, 2011

My Matchless Match


I was too slow to post before Carrie today, but I wanted to write a special post for her on her birthday. Forgive me if you've already seen these pictures. I've tried to use pictures from my phone because Carrie doesn't often post them here.

On a blog post written for my mom, I wrote to thank her for being my matchmaker. She set me up on my first date with Carrie; who, as it turns out, is a matchless match. Here are my top 3 reasons Carrie is perfect for me.


1. Carrie is beautiful
Though I was immediately attracted to Carrie when I first met her, there was so much more that drew me in. Carrie has a natural confidence and joy about herself that is infectious. Her beauty is her ability to make others feel at ease and important. Her beauty is in creating and surrounding herself with beautiful things. And she has given me 3 beautiful children.

We like to laugh about her wrinkles in her forehead. I tease her that it's from her sun worship at Lake Powell. She insists it's because she is an expressive and attentive listener. The latter is probably true because I am a horrible listener and thus have no lines in my forehead.

2. Carrie is a nurturer
Carrie is a middle child. She works hard to keep the peace in the family, making sure everyone feels comfortable. That's where it all started anyway. Now she keeps the peace in our family, strengthening and teaching our children, my family and her friends in a way that builds them up and makes them happy to be in her life. She is thoughtful, and gives good advice. She is fiercely loyal to those she loves.

3. Carrie is righteous
Not only is she righteous in the 80s sense of the word, but she is genuinely a good person. She keeps us on track in our family and helps us make good choices. She is not self righteous… she is just the perfect amount of righteous. Her pure life and actions are a good example to everyone in our family.

Since she is turning 32, she gets 3 + 2. 2 Bonus reasons why carrie is my matchless match.



4. Carrie is a cheap date
This is true in two senses of the word. First, she'd be more than happy to go to Training Table or have a picnic for all of our dates.

But the real way I mean this is that she is easily entertained, or what my dad calls a "cheap date." After 11 years of marriage, I know exactly how to punch Carrie's buttons. Her funny buttons anyway. She's always laughed at my joking manner, but in the last few years I've been able to really get her going. And she's got such a hearty laugh that it's hard to pass up an opportunity to hear it.

5. Carrie is organized
This is a perfect balance for me. I've always been, how shall we say, spontaneous. I'm creative and I use that as an excuse to be crazy messy and unorganized. Carrie, on the other hand, is always taking on projects, rearranging, sorting through our stuff and helping me get rid of things that are old, useless, pointless or that fall out of her organization paradigm. I'm a much more organized person thanks to her, I even feel the desire to get organized once in a while.

Babe, you are the perfect match for me. I love you. Happy Birthday.

7 comments:

Bobbi said...

Oh, Joseph, you are the perfect match for her, too. I love what and who you two are together, bringing out good things in each other and creating such a beautiful family. Those are great tributes to Carrie, and I agree, she is fun and loving and loyal and beautiful--and many other things. 32 years ago today we rejoiced to have her arrive, and have been glad ever since.

Flori said...

Awww, that's sweet. I love to know what people love about their spouses, because who knows your strengths (and weaknesses!) better than your eternal, every day companion? I can't believe you guys have been married for 11 years. That makes me feel old (and like I have lots of lines in my forehead too--hahaha)

Heidi said...

Go go go Joe! You guys are a great match. I love my sis a lot, and for many of these same reasons.

Anonymous said...

What a great birthday tribute! Big points for Joe.

I love hearing Carrie laugh and I love that we laugh a lot together. All of these attributes are wonderful things about my sister and make me so grateful for her. Joe is a lucky man to be married to such an amazing girl.
I am glad I was there the day that match was made...fun memories for all of us.

Krista said...

awww, that was the sweetest post. Hey I just realized that flori wrote that too. Must be true. I love Carrie too and I'm inspired by her organizing tricks, happy nature, hearty laugh and much much more. :)

Kristin Sokol said...

Get a room. Geeze.

Too cute. If everyone could have love like this...

Lizzy said...

What a sweet post. I am all emotional now. Way to go Joe! What a sweet tribute to you Carrie. You guys are a perfect match!