Friday, March 4, 2011

Becoming a Sewer

While working on my felt book pages and spending so much time on my sewing machine, I suddenly felt like an actual sewer. Creating 12+ pages must do that to a girl and it has sparked new inspiration in me. At first I just wanted to make a few more felt pages just for our own book--I was feeling the bug to create and I had some felt and muslin leftover. And then Michael's had a darling sea life felt board for sale which I grabbed up using a 50% off coupon and adjusted the materials to fit with all my other pages. Now we have these 4 extra pages for our book (not to mention the pages from all my sisters-in-law):


Now I have moved beyond the quiet book and have been working on aprons, pencil-cases, and toy bags all from online inspiration. It helps that I have many quiet afternoons while Livs is sleeping and Cares is playing with friends or willing to work with me. I will have to post pics of my creations soon.

All the sewing of late also highlighted how messy my sewing desk drawer had become. I used to have scissors and and bobbins and pins in there and that's it. But I have added more with each project: snaps, elastic, velcro, novelty buttons, ric-rac, nylon cord, fabric markers and so on. Cares helped me get everything organized this week:

Before:


After:




And who doesn't love a colorful thread collection?

Joseph got all these colors for me when I first got my machine and while making my quiet book pages I was so grateful for all of them-I think I've now used every single color.

I really need to work on my fabric and ribbon organization at some point too. Anyone have good solutions for either of those? A quick google image search popped up with this which I may need to try:





8 comments:

Heidi said...

Care you are such the crafty seamstress! I wish I could get interested in that type of thing.

Carol said...

Ok Carie. You officially need to look at my cousin Katy's blog. All of the posts on there intimidate me, but after reading about your creations I think it might be right up your alley.
http://thedillspiel.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to be crafty with you! And that organized drawer looks so good.
I am determined to get back into sewing once the baby is on a schedule. And you will have to help me figure out my machine!

Krista said...

O

Maggie said...

looks great! I am excited to see the other projects too!

Miki said...

I think you should change your title to "Becoming a Seamstress" because I was feeling sorry for you that you were becoming a sewer. I was thinking you were having toilet issues at your house or something. :-) Glad that wasn't the case!

Krista said...

So...luckily my iPad is functioning to write a comment this time round. :) love it. I love all the additional pages and I'm wondering when the ones you made for me are coming too ;) just teasing.

Flori said...

Where did you get your drawer organizer things? One day....I hope to organize my sewing stuff too. THough I'm unfortunately up to several bins of fabric. Not quite Ruth Ann status, but getting scary close.