Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November Tri


Technically, our race started at 9:00 am--but in reality, the three of us finally got a turn in the pool right around 10:00 am. We were right in the middle of the sprint group of about 350 racers but waiting for 150 people to swim laps before my turn made me crazy. I hate waiting--and it made the rushed, group start of the lake swim in August's tri sound quite appealing.

Side note: while waiting in line we just happened to line up directly behind a guy Joseph knew from his mission. So random--we didn't know a single other soul in the whole race except for that guy--one of Joe's zone leaders down in Brazil. Oh, and he is a dang good racer--winning his age division and smoking us on the course (he did just qualify for the Boston Marathon so he is used to running 7 minute miles. No big deal...)

Back to the race--it was finally time to hit the water and I really enjoyed the pool swim once I was finally racing. There's a lot to be said for clear, clean water at the perfect temp. We only swam 400 meters which flew right by and then it was outside to T1. And I was suddenly freezing cold. Joseph was mostly changed and ready to head out on his bike but I made him give up 20 seconds and hold my towel for me while I pulled my swim bottoms off and pulled on dry tri-shorts. Then off he went while I was still trying to get wet layers off and warm, dry layers on. I really wish there had been a way to get my wet sports bra off because it was damp and v. cold the rest of the race. Did I mention that I was cold?! My transition was really slow--just over 4 minutes but there was so much to do. I was even on my period again (why does it always overlap with these races?) which threw a whole new loop into things. I really hated the idea of anything feeling soggy after my swim so once that was done, I opted for nothing (hey--my shorts were black!)

Onto my bike and a 5 mile loop which we had to complete twice. I ended up riding it faster the 2nd time through--it's easier when I knew what to expect. I still think riding a full course is better and definitely more fulfilling to actually travel a real distance instead of doubling back on myself again and again. I felt really good on my bike though. My hands and feet were super cold but I was working hard and enjoyed the ride.

Joseph starting out on his ride

and finishing his first 1.5 miles of the run

Joseph crossing the finish line!

And then came the 5K which felt so impossible after a long bike ride--especially with freezing, numb feet! But they warmed up quickly once I found a good pace and got my tunes going on my iPod. Again we ran a 1.5 mile loop 2 times which I enjoyed--mostly because Joseph was a good distance ahead of me and it was fun to keep passing him while he was running the back side of the loop and I was running the front side. I ended up walking a few times during the run but I kept a better pace than in my race this summer and ended up with a 33 minute run--a good time for me and 4 minutes faster than my last 5K. Again, it was so fun to have my kiddos and parents at the finish line with big cheers and big hugs. Livs tried to rip my race number off as soon as she saw me--she was not a fan and I think that when she saw me she suddenly realized I had been gone all morning and decided to be rather grumpy about it.




In the end, my total time was 1 hour and 33 mins which I am excited about. I am in no way a fast racer (in any event) but I feel like I keep pushing myself to try harder and be a little better and it feels really good. I am totally in for more of these in the future.

A moment of victory once the race was over...


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Woohoo! You guys are setting such good examples for your kids of active and happy parents. Plus i'm way proud of your improvements in time and everything. I seriously cannot wait to do another one of these. And SOMEDAY with you (probably will be like three years down the road when one of us is not pregnant).

PS- on my period for my one and only tri too, way gross, and the one time I did a 5k on its own. Us Smith girls have bad timing. so excited to get a IUD next week

Kristin Sokol said...

Love it love it love it love it love it. Glad to have another set of novice racers on the street.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could carry Livs with you the whole way next time so that she won't be so sad.

You guys are super cool parents doing that together!

Bobbi said...

Great job on the improved time and on inspiring your husband to participate. Proud of you both!
I do like pool swimming for triathlons much better, although the waiting around is annoying. I'm thinking I may have to tri again, love the challenge and motivation. And I don't have periods to deal with (a perk of getting old!).

Bobby said...

Haha, so I totally need to read your blog more often instead of studying for the CPA exam. I got your Christmas card and saw "Two of us raced in a triathalon this fall" and immediately sent Joe a text: "Is Carrie pregnant?" I should have more faith in my polar bear brother, but for some reason I didn't think that he raced in a triathalon. That's awesome. Makes me think maybe I should race in one, too. I'm excited to see you guys in a week!