Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A New Tradition


Joseph and I bought a wooden advent calendar with darling little doors and cubbies about 5 years ago. As Bentley has grown, we have had fun finding little treats and prizes to hide for him during the month of December. Just last year, Cares was old enough to discover the fun of it too and so we went all out--and had too many tiny "thingees" floating around the house at the end of it all.

This year I am copying 2 fantastic ideas to revamp our tradition:

1) My sister uses 24 scripture passages all about the Savior's life and teachings during the days before Christmas. She sent me her list and I have filled each door with a scripture reference for us to read as a family each night before the kids go to bed.


2) I read about this on my sister-in-law's cousin's blog (see--I practically know her so it's not like blog stalking...) and I decided to embrace the same idea and add activities to each day as well.

Our list of activities (if you care to know the ins and outs of the LeBaron family):

1. Family Movie Night: Elf
2. Make snowflakes
3. Family Movie Night: The Santa Clause
4. Nursery Rhyme Festival at school & family pictures
5. Choose out a tree with Grandma & Grandpa and Smith cousins
6. Make cards for cousin gift exchange
7. Build gingerbread house
8. Family Movie Night: The Polar Express
9. Nativity coloring pages
10. Mommy daughter date to see The Nutcracker
11. Family Movie Night: Santa Clause 2
12. Take TRAX downtown for dinner at the Gateway and lights at Temple Square
13. Make cards for Aunt Cecily's birthday
14. Read and watch DVD of Luke 2
15. Christmas music program at Bentley's school
16. Decorate sugar cookies
17. Zoolights
18. See Princess and the Frog at the movie theater
19. Ward Christmas party in the morning
20. Make Christmas tree ornaments (button snowmen OR bead snowflakes)
21. Dinner at The Dodo & Christmas Street Lights
22. Create homemade gift wrap & use it to wrap sibling and cousin gifts. Extended smith family party.
23. Open 2009 books (digital scrapbooks I made for each kid)
24. Christmas Eve! Open sibling gifts during the day & head to Grandma's in the evening.

There seem to be a lot of movies on there--but we love Christmas movies at our house and thanks to our DVR, they will all be recorded and waiting for us by the end of this week. Except for Elf. Because we adore that movie and own it for real--like in a tangible, hard copy way. So old school...

So, my kids are excited but I am actually quite excited too :) I love this time of year.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I for one love reading your list (do you ever read O Happy Day blog? She also does something similar). Plus, it is fun for you to have record of it for your own family's sake.

I had no idea Cec did that tradition with her kids, so much I don't know about my sissies!

Can't wait for Nutcracker!

Bobbi said...

Sharing your joy of the season and your time with your children is an excellent idea. I love your fun list--can I come be one of your kids?

Anonymous said...

I want to copy your list of activities! And I can't wait to be the recipient of those birthday cards.

The scripture list was such a hit last year. I was sick of finding little trinkets that just end up all over my house anyway so the box was perfect for a treat and a scripture and that is a new tradition. Bringing the Savior into our nightly scripture study was a wonderful way to celebrate the season.

Jess said...

Jealous that you will actually be able to complete all those activities together as a family! Tommy's never home so maybe Porter and I will copy some of those!

Krista said...

snowflake idea. love it. great activities. I want to see the digital scrapbook. This is sounding like a very good idea.

ba and the boys said...

great idea and elf is such a good movie to remind you of the magic of christmas. not christ centered-but it doesnt all have to be!

Lizzy said...

Lovely new traditions Carrie! Thanks for the inspiration!