Thursday, December 31, 2009

Life as a Mom

***All this occurred yesterday as I was trying to blog***

Just before writing my last post I put Livs to bed, bundled up both the big kids and sent them outside to play. 2 hours later I am finally, finally posting because I:

1) Sat down to write and 2 minutes later heard Livs bonk her head on her crib. Soothed baby girl and put her back to bed.

2) Sat down to write and suddenly kids desperately needed blue colored water to spray on their snow creations. Mixed blue water and sent kids back out to the snow.

3) Sat down to write when the laundry cycle finished. Changed wash to dryer.

4) Sat down to write and suddenly Cares was crying in the backyard. Brought her inside, changed her out of snowy clothes and sent her upstairs for quiet play time.

5) Sat down to write and decided to read some blogs for a bit instead.

6) Ready to write when Bentley needed the snow tube inflated so he could try sledding down the small hill in our yard. Inflated tube for Beans and tossed it out to him.

7) Sat down to write when Bentley promptly decided he was done sledding and ready to come in. Undressed another snowy kid and sent him up to play with Cares.

Honestly--how did all of that just take 2 hours? Story of my life I swear. Sometimes I think it is rather miraculous that I get anything done at all. But honestly, I love this life of mine as a mom. I think that reading The Mother in Me has been an amazing reminder of that (even though I just started into it last night.) How I know my soul would ache if I couldn't love and snuggle and nurture and giggle with my children. They are such a happy gift...a happy and very, very busy gift. They wear me out but I sure love raising them. My loveliest of treasures--and this picture makes me want to scoop each one of them up in a tight cuddle this very second. And so I think I will...except for that gorgeous baby because she is napping like an angel...later for her though.



5 comments:

Heidi said...

I only have one kid and I frequently feel like my life is like this! Having kids is joy though, and I too love that book.

Krista said...

That sounds exhausting. I think snow plain is exhausting with all the layers for kiddos.
I haven't read that book. I need to check it out. Happy New Year! We celebrated just barely new york style. I also love your new family pic on the sidebar.

Anonymous said...

wow, that sounds SO familiar...

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying that book as well. Not so much the poetry about umbilical cords but the essays are so moving.

Snow gear is so much work! I am glad that Maddie is old enough to play outside without me and the Connor is too young to know what he is missing. Next year will be a hard one though...

Bobbi said...

A mom works up a sweat just getting her kids ready for snow play. This post reminds me why I stopped skiing--by the time I got all the kids dressed, I was too tired to ski! But, as you said, it is a gift to have them, a sweet and busy gift. I'm glad you are liking the book. It brought back memories for me. The authors are real about their situations, and well-phrased in their writing. Just think someday you will get to watch those busy little kids of yours dressing their own babes, a new kind of wonderful gift.