Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Eve 2009

A little history of "us":

When we were first married, my hubby and I celebrated Christmas nonstop for days on end--mostly because our families lived about a mile away from each other and it was easy to make the trek to and fro, back and forth, again and again and again. But, we simply don't believe in doing that anymore. And decided a few years ago that it was easier, more polite, and more fun for our kids if we arrived somewhere and actually stayed for all the festivities--beginning to end.

Now we spend Christmas eve with my family and Christmas day with Joseph's family. While it isn't the ideal choice for either of our mothers, it's a solution we can both agree on (after years of arguing about fairness and whose family got to see more of us...you know the drill.) And it's a choice that keeps us sane and allows our little family a chance to actually relax and enjoy cousins and grandparents and all that family time we so look forward to each season. We don't have "on" years or "off" years although many of our siblings do (and somehow they are all "on" at the same time in both families...how did we get left out of that decision?) but we do get to spend quality time with both sets of parents (all our kids' grandparents) every year which we really love.

Without further adieu, our Christmas eve this year:

the grandkids (minus tiny newborn Mason) re-enacting the Nativity--
one of my very favorite Christmas traditions

Max the cow and Connor the donkey
(never mind the fact that Olivia the sheep was soooo over her costume after 2 minutes flat...)

King Ethan and King Bentley

Heidi and Ben

My cuddly little family

Bentley and the Lego building boys

and he showed much appreciation for his gift :)

Chad and Maddie Jane

Cares showing off her new chair. It goes with the new art table my mom gave to my kids--
the one I asked her to get them because I wanted them to have it in their toy room...so yes, it was basically a gift for me too!

My mom with her 3 granddaughters
(to match her new, although hidden, bracelet which has all their names on it)

"us"



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You great blogger you! I am impressed. And I am going to copy and paste your entry into mine. Well, maybe not because people might wonder why the "us" picture looks so much like my sister and her hubby. All 5 of my blog followers will also wonder why your kids are listed as my own. But that would be truth since I feel those kids are partly mine :-).

Fun Christmas Eve with you!!!

Bobbi said...

Christmas Eve together was a wonderful night. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your darling kids in the Nativity, their excitement over the gifts, all was enchanting to us. We loved every moment of it. And thank you for my bracelet again. It's a lovely reminder of those precious little girls.

Heidi said...

Christmas eve was lovely! Max was one funny seriuos cow