Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Up at the Cabin

On Saturday, my in-laws hosted their annual Boxing Day party (my hubby is half-Canadian you know--got to celebrate those kind of things...although I have no idea what Boxing Day is all about...) We visited with more family, ate dinner, and then bailed a little early to head up the canyon to my parents' cabin.

We spent Sunday up in the gorgeous, sunny, smog free mountains. A small group of us had a lovely little religious meeting--sharing beloved memories of favorite Christmases and testimonies of the Savior and His gospel. Bentley and Cares each shared a story of Jesus that we read about this December from our family scripture study. I was so proud of them for being brave enough to share and for remembering things so well. On Sunday evening my whole family gathered at the cabin for dinner--our last time together until May (when we'll celebrate my mom's 60th birthday)

We came home on Monday after some sledding, some lunch and a game of trains. As we drove home my hubby and I decided we had just had one of the most perfect cabin adventures ever. Olivia took a 5 hour nap on Sunday afternoon, and slept for 14 1/2 hours that night. She was an amazing sleeper up there and I am sure that made it all the more relaxing for me. We finally got some real bonding time with tiny Mason and it was very fun to see my brother and his wife so smitten with their little guy. I am really loving seeing my big brother as a dad--setting up cribs, rocking his baby, and even rescuing Olivia with extra formula when we forgot to bring ours up! We fit in many train games, a little Canasta, and even played a hilarious round of the Newlywed game late Saturday night with Heidi and Ben, Tye and Stacey and my parents. Joseph and I totally lost, but know we are the most "in love" so it doesn't matter ;)

This picture was supposed to show all the baby swapping between moms--but guess whose daughter freaked out when she saw that her own mommy was most definitely not holding her? We had to trade back to calm her down...

Silly Max and sweet Bentley playing cars

mini-me and mini-Cec

Joe took over the camera for a bit and captured this shot of the boys. They love making the classic "stupid face" for pics these days.

10 minutes later I took this shot of them not knowing we already had some. I think they are way funny :)

Finally some smiles

Chad and Max hanging out

Marsh and the cheesy posers

It was one crazy, holiday whirlwind the past week and these last few days at home have felt so calm and very needed (even though we played at my sister's house for about 5 hours yesterday--which still feels easy and quite routine for me :)

Now, when will I get my house out of Christmas mode and all the decorations back in storage? Haven't decided on that quite yet...


4 comments:

Heidi said...

I think in that photo of the three mommies and three babies Olivia has a Heidi-baby-ish look about her.

Still can't believe Olivia's mega nap!

If you guys lost Newlywed game but are the most in love, then Ben and I are the second most in love ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wait, we are most in love too! But we would lose that game on technicalities...

So glad this cabin adventure worked out better with the sleeping. Good for Miss Olivia to sleep through everything!

Thanks again for playing at my house yesterday while I ran errands and such.

ba and the boys said...

i bet your hubby doesnt know what boxing day is either.
happy new year!

Heidi C said...

Carrie-
I loved seeing the mini you and mini Cec. It is so true!