Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What I Can Do


During the past few days I have felt overwhelmed by the weight of the world, mostly because of the impending election and the endless talk about serious issues that face our country. I want to be an informed citizen, an educated person and aware of all that we face--but even more so, I want to know how we can resolve things, how we can put broken pieces back together--even if it takes a brand new arrangement--and how I can make sure I am doing my part. Last night, I realized that all of it is just so much bigger than me (genius realization I know...) and once I vote, then my tiny role in it all is over--it is out of my hands and into a civic leader's--whether I voted them in with the majority or not.

No, I cannot fix our nation's economic crisis, nor can I heal international relationships, ensure soldier safety in wars overseas, and secure my husband's job as a member of a small business. And these are things that I honestly worry and think about.

So, what do I have control over? Me. And my attitude and my actions. My daily job is to care for my children, and in that role, I do face important tasks. I am the one responsible for teaching them to be good, to be fair, to love, to be kind, to work hard, to strive for achievement, to value education, to stand up for what is right and to know and love their God with all their hearts. I believe in these things fervently and have found renewed vigor in sharing them with my family--knowing that they serve a purpose, that they will change lives and they will make this country a better place--even if it's only because there are 2 more LeBarons in America who are willing to work and learn and contribute while knowing and living the Gospel.

I realize that this is a tall order. It will be hard and involve a lot of patience and courage--especially as my kids grow older and want to push all their boundaries--I will really need courage then. But I am not afraid of my ultimate goal. I am a mother and there is serious power in that common, everyday role. But it is my role and I believe that my Father in Heaven has prepared me all my life to raise these children. He has actually given me a tremendous gift in letting me know them and love them too. Their tender spirits have affected mine for good a thousand times over in the past 4 1/2 years. So, today, and every day, I will remind myself that in my own and very small way I am helping our great country by being the best mom I can be.

On another note, November is a month for gratitude so I want to include things I am grateful for with each post. On Monday night we all sat on the couch together for Family Home Evening and sang I am A Child of God. It was such a simple moment but it humbled me and filled my heart with joy. The 3 who make up my little family (Joseph, Cares and Beans) are amazing people in my life and I know they are God's children. And I thank Him for letting each of them be mine too.

I am grateful for primary songs.

Seriously, I love them all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make such a good point in this Care. Our most important and most influential place is in the home with our children. More so than on any election ballot. We are so blessed. Even if our country is making a turn downhill. At least we are aware and prepared for the times that are ahead. And we must prepare our little families.

I love primary songs too. They bring the spirit so quickly.

Carol said...

Carie,
You said this so beautifully and I feel exactly the same way. As the old saying goes..."The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world." We are all rulers...it doesn't matter that our influence is over a few instead of many.
This truly was the reminder that I needed today and I was led to read your blog. Thank you, my sweet cousin.

Kristin Sokol said...

Vote...Become involved in your community...Let your city leaders know you are there and you care what happens... Raise your kids...Do some kind of public service at a point in your life when your children don't depend on you for everything. Give your kids the attention they need when they need it (while they are young) If we all did that, there wouldn't be anything to worry over.

Heidi said...

Thanks for this great reminder Care. I kept thinking about sweet baby LeBaron during this whole thing too. Love you!

Anonymous said...

well said! Thanks for the thoughts!

Bobbi said...

Beautiful writing, Carrie, and great thoughts. I am so grateful, as your mother, to see you be such a devoted and committed and loving mom. Your children will bless your name. And, hopefully, they will stand as the beacons of goodness and truth you are teaching them to be.