Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ladies Night


Yes, I saw Twilight last night. I don't even consider myself a huge fan--just someone who read all the books and wanted to see the movie version. But then I ended up at the movie on opening weekend, in a sold out theater, with about 101 teenage girls. So I had to arm myself with lots of female support just in case it was a totally worthless experience--so we could laugh about it and feel silly all together.

(L to R: sisters Annalisa and Krista (Krista is my sister-in-law), Catherine (my older sister's sister-in-law), Mary (SIL), me, Heid (my little sis) and Bobbi (my mom)--did you follow all of that? ;)

Becky and Jessica (another SIL and her mom)

Well, it turns out that I have become a Twilight movie fan. First of all, I loved going with so many great women (my sister, sisters-in-law, mom, etc.) And I loved all the teenagers' screams and squeals throughout the movie--they totally made me laugh and reminded me so much of myself at that age. I loved the chemistry between Edward and Bella and I loved their intense moments of passion and longing. I loved the fight scene in the ballet studio and I loved the final moments of the movie between Edward and Bella. I could have done without the cheesy special effects and awkward "vampire" moments (i.e tree hopping, perching on rocks instead of just sitting, glittering in the sun, speeding over to open Bella's door, and the overall lameness of Rosalie--not a good actress at all...)

Anyway, I had a fabulous night out and would totally see the movie again. It totally reminded me of my teenage years and all the angst, drama and desire that I seemed to feel all the time (especially when it came to my teenage boyfriend--sooooo much emotion!!) Like my mom said after the movie last night, "oh be to be that young and feel that much passion again." Pretty much sums up the love story we saw last night...



11 comments:

Heidi said...

My So Called Life- that show will always remind me of your intense teenage passion. Titanic and Nsync will remind me of mine- ha ha ha. Yours is way cooler. Anyway, so much fun, I had great dreams.

Audrey said...

Carrie-I saw it last night. Looks like you had fun. I don't think I liked it as much as you. I was in a theater with a bunch of my ward friends and a handful of other teenagers. I think there was a total of 20 people watching it. It wasn't as big of a hit out here. I found myself laughing at all the wrong places. I will say it was entertaining though. It was fun having an excuse to go out with the ladies.

Anonymous said...

Can you really believe that we used to be crazy, hormonal, love-sick teenagers? That movie did take me back but I was so glad to not be one of the teenie boppers, who can't understand what real passion is, in the theater last night.
Sad that I am not in your fun picture...maybe we could go again next week and take a photo together since my friends didn't get around to recording the event like that :-).

Kristin Sokol said...

I read the first two books and liked them, but I don't understand the mania that has ensued..?..I wanted to see it this weekend, but my sister in laws who introduced me to the books totally dogged me. What's that about??? I'll get there soon though.

Mariposa said...

i felt like this movie was a 100% accurate account of what it's like being in love with a vampire when you're 17. Just take my VERY SIMILAR HS experience for example....practically twilight twinner.

Bobbi said...

It was a great night. I loved being included with all of you fine women, and feeling slightly like I did 40+ years ago! I miss the passion--but not the angst. Great romance, laughable special effects, mostly good actors. I thought they had good chemistry, and he did grow on me a lot. Loved the sighing teens around us, so funny.

ba and the boys said...

im so disappointed in you...chris and i were making fun of some ladies that had 'team edward' shirts on friday.
ps-i guess we can still be friends since this is your only flaw...

Krista said...

Loved going to the movie with you guys. Loved the movie. Loved the hormones. :)

Jess said...

Loved the movie, totally agree with you about it on all accounts. HATED Rosalie and hated the speedy movements by Edward. But I thought I would be disappointed and I wasn't. Edward turned out to be perfect!

johnnyboy said...

If only my estrogen levels were high enough to have been invited. I'm happy to hear that Edward didn't suck as bad as everyone thought he would. Least of all Bella.

Carol said...

I went to the midnight showing with a bunch of friends as well and I am so glad to hear that I am not the only nerd. Yes, I even made a Team Edward t-shirt to wear...so maybe I am a bit more nerdy? :)
BTW, I loved that your mom went with you...how fun!!!