Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Day


Yesterday was one of those days where I was going and going and working and working (much like the Energizer bunny...) which I haven't done enough of in the past few months. It felt so good to get so much done but by the end of the night, I was totally wiped out (my pregnant body definitely added to my frazzled state). The thing about this job of "mom" and "general manager" of our home and family is that there isn't always a lot to show for all my work at the end of the day. The sink may be free of dishes or the toys all picked up but those tasks certainly don't take up an entire day.

Well, my sister told me about a busy mom she knows who writes down all the things she does in a day just to remind herself that she is actually accomplishing a lot even though there aren't always tangible or visual results of her efforts. I copied this idea yesterday and I felt so very fulfilled at the end of the day (even if I did induce the mother of all lower back pains and feel a migraine coming on around 10:00 pm...it was worth it :)

My day, Monday, November 10th:

--dropped Bentley off at preschool
--came home and washed all the dishes in the sink, started the dishwasher
--put Cares' laundry away
--pulled out all the remaining summer dresses from her closet and stored them away
--did Caroline's hair
--showered and got ready for the day
--went to the grocery store
--picked up Bentley from school
--came home and made lunch: read Domino while I ate and felt very inspired to clean out my linen closet and get it all organized and lovely
--rid my fridge of all its old food
--pulled out 2 fridge shelves (1 at a time) and cleaned them in the kitchen sink
--1/2 way organized the laundry room--it still needs some help
--started Bentley's laundry
--laid Cares down for a nap (and caught a 20 minute snooze myself)
--played army guys on Mega Blocks forts with Bentley while Cares slept
--finally gave-in and pulled out ALL my maternity clothes and put most of them away in my closet and drawers
--cleared out and organized the entire hallway linen closet (boy do I have a lot of sheets and pillows and old beach towels to donate to the DI!)
--met Joseph for dinner
--ran to Wal-Mart for a few closet organizing tools and Christmas gifts while Joseph took the kids home and got them dressed for bed
--came home and had a short little FHE about being thankful (we are really trying to teach the kids to say more than just 1 thing they are thankful for in their prayers--lately it's been "we're thankful for this day" and that's it.)
--read to Bentley and got him to bed (while Joseph helped Caroline)
--folded Bentley's laundry while watching Sunday's episode of The Amazing Race.
--finished the linen closet
--took some Tylenol and went to bed

one of the great ideas from Domino--tying sheet sets together with a ribbon

Today, and every day, I am thankful for my home.

Even though it requires a lot of work (and it's not even lawn and garden season anymore), I love the fact that Joseph and I have our very own place. We are so, so blessed to have such a comfortable home in a neighborhood filled with wonderful people.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Yay for Domino. Your linen closet looks vert snazzy! You did get a lot done- I love those days

Bobbi said...

Nice job, Carrie! I love productive days like that, too. I started making lists years ago, and love the satisfaction of crossing off things at the end of the day. I will even add the things I hadn't put on the list but got done anyway so I can see how much I accomplished. Now that I am older and forget stuff more easily, lists are critical! The bows are cute!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Joe was singing your praises today when I talked to him at the office. It is really hard to tackle big projects of organization when you are pregnant but so rewarding when you finish them. I am glad you used the list idea...it helps me feel better about my efforts on days that I don't think I did much.
I should reemploy that tactic...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

those busy, busy days and being pregnant on top of it! We do a lot don't we every day to run a household. Maybe we should live on a big ranch together and help ease the life of chores by working together...wait that sounds a little polygamisty to me.

Stacey said...

Good job Carrie, you did a ton of work. Your linen closet looks great. I get tired after grocery shopping and dishes. I can't imagine what I'll do when I'm pregnant.

calicobirdie said...

Nice. I'm totally going to make a list of DONE. It might make me feel better than my current list of "TO DO"--with only half the things crossed off. Can you send some nesting instincts my way so I can clean out my fridge too?

Anonymous said...

i've thought about doing this but am afraid it will show how LITTLE I do...

ba and the boys said...

you are a supermom! and while doing all that, you were making another person! amazing! put your feet up and watch some oprah today!