Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Desert

Our last family trip to Phoenix was back in 2005 and I can't seem to find any photos from that trip. Where have they disappeared to? I did dig up some beauties from 2004 and this post is filled with oldies...which I love.

Desert Botanical Gardens, March 2004

Our desert baby (hidden in my belly in the picture above) has been begging us to take him back to his birthplace. All too easily I conceded and now we are planning a road trip down to Phoenix in March. Who doesn't love it there in March? Orange blossoms, sunshine, warm air and green, green grass await us.

Joseph and I are thrilled to be heading back to a place we know and love. When first dreaming up plans of what to do, they all focused on food--breakfast at La Grande Orange (and some pizza at some point too), lunch at SAKS, ribs from Houston's and delicious refried beans from Tia Rosa's. Yummy.

my darling nephews at Tia's in 2004

But we are vacationing with all our kiddos and we need some great kid entertainment too. Funny how we lived in Phoenix for 3 years and only had baby Bentley at the end of our time there--we don't know what's great to do there with kids! So far we are planning on the Botanical Gardens, a trip to the ASU campus, an outing to the Mesa temple and a Sunday afternoon with my brother and his family out in Gilbert. Any other suggestions? Maybe the art museum downtown? Train park? Zoo?

Graduation with fellow grad students at Gammage Auditorium

Mesa Temple

More from the Botanical Gardens when newly engaged John and Krista came to visit


While we kick it in the desert we are staying at a fantastic resort with a killer pool so we hope to be swimming for a few hours every day and then eating out at old favorites.

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak

I'd love to head to Fashion Square but I don't think I'll be lugging my kids around Crate & Barrel and Nordstrom (the shoe dept. there is pretty amazing.) Maybe I'll have to spend some alone time shopping and then Joseph can spend some alone time golfing. Sounds like the perfect trade.

Outside our old townhouse in Arcadia when Heid was in town. We literally lived across the street from La Grande Orange and if Bentley hadn't been born when it was already blazing hot outside we would have taken many walks to the bakery. Loved those days on Campbell Ave.--mainly because these 2 boys (and my big sis) lived 3 doors away:

I love how many pics I took of my "children" before Beans came along. They are too cute though. Wish I'd taken more!



6 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh how I miss my twice (sometimes thrice) annual vacations to Phoenix. All you need is a pool and the yummy restaurants. I have heard the zoo is fun though.

In all the times I visited you guys never took me to that bakery right by you?!

Krista said...

Oh fun. Can I come? I'll watch the kids by the pool. Love that resort! I also loved visiting the botanic gardens with you guys.

Bobbi said...

Phoenix is a great town to visit, and I'm sure your kids will love it. We used to have fun coming to visit Cecily, and then you guys, too, and now Tye and Stacey. How did we get so lucky as to have 3 different sets of kids live there so we would have good excuses to come down? We will be there right after you guys, but not overlapping--too bad. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I miss those little boys! And I miss living by you! And I miss Phoenix! Wow, I am going to get emotional from reading this post!

Fun resort to stay at! And your restaurant list is awesome. Too bad La Grande Orange wasn't so happening until right before we all moved away! As for activities, the museum would be good. And the zoo is nice when the weather isn't so hot...it is an easy one to spend just a couple hours at and they have a petting zoo, which your kids would love. The butterflies won't be out yet at the Botanical gardens but that is still a cool place to walk around in. But the best place is Fashion Square...they redid the play place (ahh memories) with treehouses that have slides. That would be a fun place for Joe and the kids for a few minutes while you shopped for shoes in Nordies! I'm just sayin...you go all the way to Phoenix so you need to stop by that mall! Maybe Maddie and I will head down there that weekend and meet up with you to celebrate her birthday!

Katherine said...

We will be there next week! Too bad we won't overlap...
The Mesa Arizona Museum for Youth is little but very fun for young kids. Great little exibits and a fun enclosed play area. We spent a lot of time there. It is just a block or two from the temple. The downtown PHX children's museum is new and fun too. It is pricey though. The Scottsdale train park really is fun and worth the time. You can tour an old Pullman car that belonged to two or three US presidents. Pretty cool. The zoo really is wonderful. The giraffe exhibit is the best I've ever seen.
You also MUST eat at America's Taco Stand. There are two locations--PHX and Tempe. UNBELIEVABLE carne asada, the best we found in Arizona.
Have fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally forgot about the train park! We go there every time we are in town! I am glad Katherine mentioned it because that will be a hit. Grab a lunch from Saks and then eat it there while the kids play on the playground, and then you can ride the carousel and the train.