Sunday, January 9, 2011

At the Museum


Late Friday night I was working on my lesson for the YW on Sunday--one all about developing a relationship with the Savior. Joseph suggested we go see the Carl Bloch paintings of Christ at the BYU Museum of Art as preparation for the lesson and an educational family outing. And so we did just that, late yesterday afternoon.

We arrived with our tickets and our small kids to find a very full museum. I started to feel apprehensive about bringing my young family to view the artwork, knowing these paintings were quite spiritual works surrounded by reverent and respectful viewers. As soon as we entered the exhibit, Olivia wanted to roam, Cares insisted on being held and Bentley seemed a little overwhelmed. I thought we would last 2 minutes before needing to bail and wondered why we had brought our children instead of trying to find a babysitter. After following my busy Livvies past several works and around many corners, we traced our steps back to a painting of Jesus in Gethsemane and found Joseph crouched down low with Bentley tucked under his left arm and Cares gathered up on his right knee. Joseph was quietly explaining the scene to our children and in doing so he reminded them of the words from Gethsemane, a beautiful children's song all about Christ in that very garden. Standing just behind the 3 of them, I felt the tender power of those words and then the sweetness of Joseph's testimony as he described our Savior's suffering for each and every one of us. I loved how Bentley and Cares were staring up at the huge oil painting, listening intently and sitting very still, snuggled close to their daddy in that gallery.

I am so glad we went as a family, even if it only provided one short but important teaching moment during the course of the night. Maybe my kids will remember how they felt and maybe they won't, but I will remember how I felt. And my heart was completely full.




4 comments:

brittanydaw said...

Isn't that great? We took the kids, too and just loved it. He is so inpirational--definitely a tool in the hand of God.

Heidi said...

Just watched that video of Gethsemane with Max snuggled on my lap and it was very sweet. I was of course in tears and Max was telling me "Jesus nice to sheep, Jesus nice to kids too"

Anonymous said...

Even if it was one precious moment in a midst of chaos, it is worth it.

I have a hard time singing Gethsemane without tears. Such a beautiful and simple song about the most significant event in the Savior's life, and hence, in our lives.

What a cute comment by Max!

Bobbi said...

Providing those teaching moments (or at least trying to) is what parenting is about. Lots of effort, and hoping that some of it impacts and stays. Bloch's works are sensitive and beautiful. That song is truly a tender joy to listen to. And love cute Max's comment!