Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Girl's Camp 2010

Camp. What an experience. It was rainy and then hot; adventurous and then easy going; filled with teenage drama and then loads of fun; silly and crazy and then solemnly spiritual. As a leader I felt like it was an amazing time for me to get to know the young women in my ward--to cook with them, hike with them, laugh with them, learn from them, and just really listen to them. I am amazed at the strength of these young girls--they have been through hard things and are experiencing hard things. They are not naive and sheltered nor is their faith untested. And yet I marvel at their optimism, their happiness and the sheer trust they have in the Lord. I want so much to be more like them.

My favorite part was by far our testimony meeting. Each girl opened her heart and shared her testimony and it was a meeting that touched me profoundly. There's so much I want to remember about it and yet so much that was sacred and personal--things that aren't mine to share here. I simply felt grateful to be a part of that beautiful, tender meeting, enjoying the warmth of the camp fire and the shockingly bright, starry night sky.

Thank you to all of you who watched over my babies while I was away. They felt so loved and adored by all of you!


Prepping for the zipline

and going for it (it was fun but I wish it had been much higher and longer--the daredevil in me ;)

Addie, Ashley and Tori--3 YCLs and best friends

Daisy, Addie and Marley

pit stop on our hike to the canoeing pond
(a group of girls stood in front of their friend as there was no door on the outhouse :)



midweek hair washing

airing out my feet after our long and sweaty hike

string bracelet mania

Granny Ashley (dressed up for our ward skit)

Hilaree, Stacey and Tori with the fancy awards lady
This stake leader in her sequins had a new outfit for each award--and they were awesome--always puffy and ruffled and bright...some of the coolest dress-ups ever!

Breanna and her mama, Shauna (you can so tell they are related can you not?)

Rachel, Aralee and Stacey "Bon-bon" Bonner
Did I mention the girls gave all the leaders nicknames? Mine was Caribbean. After toying with Chrysler, the former seemed to stick.

with Tori and Jaleece just before testimony meeting



5 comments:

Heidi said...

Girls Camp!!! Reading this brought back so many good feelings of my own experiences at camp. Looks like a lot of fun and dirt and spiritual growth, just what camp should be!

Krista said...

I feel a little exhausted after all you did. Leaders are amazing to put together these amazing camp experiences. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Girls camp memories are the best. It is a crazy and fun trip, but also such a spiritual renewal as you bond in sisterhood and in the gospel.

I hope to join Maddie at camp down the road!

Bobbi said...

I'm glad you got to be there. I only have memories of camp as a leader but loved being there. The time with the girls is unique in its length, openness, and bonding. I'm sure your yw love you even more now!

Carol said...

I must say, I had a hard time finding you in some of the photos. You look just like a YW yourself!