Saturday, April 18, 2009

And So It Begins

Basement Construction: It is both exciting and exhausting (and we are not even doing the actual labor :) Since arriving home from St George just one week ago I have had the framer, plumber, electrician, heating and air guy, insulator, and sheet rocker (just to measure--but he starts hanging walls on Monday) in and out of my house. And today, Joseph and I lugged the 3 kids all around Home Depot and Lowe's as we looked at sink vanities, faucets and lighting. We didn't even buy anything--just checked out all the options (there is only so much online research I can handle--I need to see and touch something tangible after a certain point!)

Progress after week #1
We are super lucky that things are coming together so quickly...thus far anyway...

view from the bottom of the stairs

new little bathroom

1 of the 2 new bedrooms

great room (for media and pool table)

view of the stairway from our kitchen--we cut out some of the wall in our main room to let in more light and connect the 2 levels a bit more.

Construction is messy. I will have major cleaning up to do once it is finished.

Oh, and today at Lowe's I got lost in some wallpaper books. I have realized that my style is categorized as "contemporary" according to the books and that I would love to hang a feminine print in Caroline's room. My husband hates the idea of wallpaper (he had a bad experience with a purple and black paisley print that he chose out when he was about 12 years old...I know--scary right?)

Wallpaper is like fabric--I could look at samples for days on end. I love these bright prints--too rich to fill up a whole room but fun to look at nonetheless--



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! We finished our basement in our Kaysville house and it was fun and stressful at the same time. Word of advice (if you haven't already figured it out): Lowe's and Home Depot's online is SOOO different than what they have in the store and in stock. The before (and after) pictures are so fun!

Heidi said...

Cute wallpaper! I am feeling so excited about your basement and it's not even my home. Keep the updates coming.

Krista said...

have you thought about vinal decals for wall paper options. when you get sick of them just take them down. They have great options online.
great progress on the work downstairs.

Carol said...

I am the all-time queen of basement finishing. We finished our basement in February of 2007...I thoroughly flooded said basement in July of 2007, and we re-finished the same basement (once it was dried out) in August.

My advice is simple...make sure ALL of the work is complete before you pay in full. My heating guy did all of the ductwork, which I paid him for, but then I couldn't get him to come back and put the vent covers on. A simple fix that we were able to do, but still...it was annoying to have paid him for the entire thing and then he didn't finish it. Also, try not to flood your new basement. :)

On a brighter note, I LOVE our basement and I would refinish it again tomorrow to be able to have it in our home. The mess and headache is soooo worth it. Can't wait to see more pics.

Carol said...

P.S. The drywall part is...by far...the worst. I found dust in our master closet...which is on the opposite end of the house and it doesn't even have any basement under it. I say budget in a dusting cleaning lady after the drywall is complete. :)

Kristin Sokol said...

Oh how we miss going to Lowes...Not.

One thing we found is that we highly prefer Lowes to Home Depot.
Service and ambience is so much better. Plus, it is easier to return things.

Another thing. WE LOVE OUR FINISHED BASEMENT! It's like having a vacation home inside your regular home. We can go down after the kids are asleep and excape and watch all our favorite reality shows with out inturption. (Thanks to our second black market ebay TIVO)

Bobbi said...

It's looking great so far. Can't wait to see the finished product, and to have you all enjoy the space.

Anonymous said...

I love my basement but I did not love the process. First of all, what a mess! How does dust travel into every nook and cranny in the upstairs? Secondly, there were so many decisions that had to be made really fast (about carpeting, paint colors, tile in the bathroom, lighting, doors) and I was worried that I would second guess myself after everything was complete. But I am very happy with it and I am so grateful that we have a guest room and a room for the boys and the extra living space for company or the YM or friends.

I can't wait to see your progress when I get back!!!

I love the wallpaper options but Krista's suggestion of vinyl is a great idea.

ba and the boys said...

lucky! getting my basement finished is a life long dream! and good luck-i hate living in mess.
have a tour when you are done!

Maggie said...

I'm so excited for you guys. What an exciting project. When do they think it will all be done? keep the pics coming.

Bobby said...

The trust your sense of style, but I'm with Joe, in that I instinctively don't trust wallpaper. Joe may have had paisley, but I had trains with stripes going down the side of the wall. And taking it off is such a mess! But, I think you'll be able to pick something that can withstand the style test of time.