Thursday, May 15, 2008

Moo, Baa, La La La

Today we had our last preschool gathering at the Thanksgiving Point petting zoo. In theory, both of my kids were very excited to see and touch various farm animals. In reality, as soon as we were face to face with a loud and hairy sheep, Cares totally freaked out. This meant that I carried her for 90% of the time as she clutched my shirt and laid her face on my shoulder (made picture taking almost impossible...boo...) Bentley, however, loved everything about our adventure, including time with his best little buddies from school. He laughed at the sheep whose bleets reminded him of burping sounds (a new favorite at our house :) and he cooed over the tiny baby goats and super soft rabbits. When it came time for the pony rides I was sure that Cares would refuse one considering her reaction to all the animals beforehand but she did ask for one. So, I put her up in the saddle, released her tight little grip on my shoulder, and then heard her say in her timid, "I'm still scared" voice, "a take my picture mommy." As soon as I told her to smile for the shot she was a new girl--poised and happy and loving it. She even reached forward to pet her pony's crinkly hair. I love that silly little girl!
This tractor was a highlight for Bentley. He was fascinated by the height of the back wheels because they were taller than he was! We ended up having a great field trip and eagerly welcomed the warm sun as the afternoon progressed.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

I think we have a little cowboy and cowgirl on our hands. Those are the cutest pictures ever.

Anonymous said...

Cares is so silly! I love that she is such a stinker about being near the animals but then gets on the horse and asks to have her picture taken. And that photo would make you think she had loved the animals all along. Such a monkey.
Looks like a very fun day.
By the way, I just read Moo, Baa, La la la to Maddie two nights ago. She likes the Sandra Boynton books lately.

Heidi said...

I am dying how hilarious Cares is- she cracks me up! I am glad that Beans got the most out of his experience there, he is such a fun smart kid.

Joseph said...

Those are way cute pics, babe. I've visited your blog several times already to keep sneaking a peek at Cares. Maybe she would have liked the bunnies better if they looked like this.

Krista said...

I love following joseph's comments because I'm totally laughing at his silly bunny pic. I'm glad care's finally warmed up to the pony. Sisi was not into the pony ride and told me "no, no, no no, NO!!" when I asked her.