Saturday, June 9, 2007

Waterfalls and Timp

What a glorious summer day! We planned quite an adventure--hiking to Stewart Falls in Provo Canyon. Joseph's parents stayed overnight at their cabin in Sundance and we met up with them this morning. Mary, Seth, Tillie, Bob, Evie and Elijah joined us to create a small LeBaron caravan. It was quite epic preparing and packing up the two kids and lunch for all of us, but once we got under way, it was so worth it. Yes Bentley cried within the first 10 minutes when a stick scratched his leg. And yes, Caroline cried within the first 15 minutes when Bob carried her instead of Joe (this happened because Bentley didn't want anymore plants touching his body and begged Joseph to carry him on his shoulders, thus transplanting Caroline). After Cares relentlessly fought riding with Bob, I traded her over to the Baby Bjorn and she was pleased as pie for the rest of the journey.

We have never been on such a rugged outing with both of our kids and it was tricky business--but we had a lot of fun (in between the crying :) Bentley spotted about 50 caterpillars, a ladybug, the moon high above Timp, and birds and a squirrel. He also loved throwing rocks into the river--a classic Bentley activity. The views and scenery were some of the prettiest nature has to offer. Timpanogos was covered in fresh, white snow while the forest below was as green and lush as can be. The bright blue sky against a snowy, towering peak is always beautiful. I am a mountain loving girl (I get this from my parents :)

It was great fun watching the "big boys" play in the waterfall--it made me happy. I also loved that little Evie was right there with them climbing in the river and running under the big falls. She's a cutie. On the way home, Bentley opted for Daddy to carry him in his arms rather than on his shoulders (quite the workout for my hubby!) I carried Caroline in the backpack and she loved it. About halfway back I could feel her little head resting heavily on my neck and shoulders--she was snoozing peacefully.

Now that we are home and the kids are in bed for the night, I think I am ready to join them! It was a great family adventure but I am getting tired. Too bad that Bentley is singing and playing in his bed as I type this--I guess the hiking (or more so the carrying of 38 lb. Bentley and 18 lb. Caresie) simply wore mom and dad out.


FYI: I love our hiking backpack. It has tons of convenient storage space, a great water bottle holder, a sun shade and cushioned straps and belts for support. I don't think they make this same model anymore but I am sure there are comparable ones out there (which don't cost a fortune!) If anyone is thinking about buying one, take your kid (or any kid really ;) plop them in the backpacks and actually try them out at the store. This made our decision on which backpack to buy really easy--comfort counts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in on the next hike up there...and maybe Maddie can cry with Bean and be carried the whole way! Fun LeBaron outing! I will miss you this week while I am on the Horsley outing!

Heidi said...

That sounds like such a fun day! I love timp but have never hiked it - wel except the back part to the caves. Anyway, your kids are so funny. You guys are troopers for lugging them all around but they will benefit from it!

Krista said...

Fun! I'm jealous that we couldn't make it. I would love to check out your little back pack too for cares. We need to get one soon.
Cute Bentley told me he saw "lots of animals...caterpillars and ladybugs" on the hike.