Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fathers


I love fathers. I always have thanks to the fact that I have such a great one. And now I am married to one and he too is an amazing daddy. I think any child who can look at her father and see the classic traits of a hero is one lucky kid. My dad has always embodied strength, bravery, incredible intellect, hard work, a safe haven, playfulness and spirituality. Now that I am an adult and a parent myself, I see how he is still all of these things but also gentle, concerned, adoring and very, very wise.

It is wonderful to me that once Joseph became a daddy and we welcomed little Bentley and Caroline into our family, I fell more deeply in love with him. I love to hear him sing lullabies to our children and to watch him throw them in the air and chase them in the yard. I love to hear him read stories to them and watch him draw endless illustrations of cars and trucks for Bentley. I love that when Joseph walks through the door at the end of the day, my kids are both elated and want nothing more than to soak in time with and attention from their dad. I love to hear Joseph pray for our family and earnestly seek help in rearing and teaching them (even while they are still so small :) I love that the responsibility of being a father resonates strongly within him yet he delights in the role and knows he can shape these little lives profoundly.

Last year, on Christmas Eve, Bentley was very sick. He had been fighting a rough cough and running a very persistent fever for 3 or 4 days in a row. We kept thinking he would get better at any moment but things just seemed to be getting worse. While staying at my parent's house, Bentley woke up after just an hour or 2 of sleep with a burning body and a wheezing cough that was worse then ever. We had finished opening presents and were just preparing for bed when we heard our little boy crying and started worrying about him more and more. He was so sad and so tired and totally miserable that it was breaking my heart. All I could think of was to ask my Dad and my husband to bless my son. And so they did. It was simple and tender and short. And for me it was incredibly profound. Grouped together were the three boys I loved most in the world. And to see sweet Bentley with the hands of his loving father and adoring grandfather laid upon his head was a beautiful gift--one that captured the inherent goodness and love of both my father and my husband. I am surrounded by amazing fathers and I am one lucky girl.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

You are lucky! That made me cry. Oh and I love that picture of you with dad!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to be able to have the Priesthood in our lives! Joe is a great man, as is our daddy. Sweet pictures and a sweet story.
My eyes are barely staying open but I HAD to check the important blogs tonight to find out what I missed out on. Thanks for missing me so much! I love how busy you were while I was gone :-). More from me tomorrow...

Krista said...

I totally copied you with the dad at my wedding. :) That's because you are so cool. I really love your family too. Care, you are a lucky girl.