Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ballerina Girl

Caroline started ballet today! She is so cute in her full class uniform and we found a cool hair accessory to help us create a great bun.



  hanging out at Cec's house after dance today

She is dancing over at UDA and she really loved her first class. I have been so hesitant to sign her up for classes because I just haven't seemed to find a place that fits all my studio requirements (yeah I am one of those parents). I blame it all on my experiences both as a dancer and a teacher. I grew up dancing in a strict and intense ballet studio over in Sugarhouse which had a lovely pre-ballet program for young dancers and a hardcore regimen for ages 8 and up which I have a lot of respect for--I think I learned invaluable technique dancing in that studio. And I loved that it was a ballet studio. Not a "jack of all trades" or competition studio but a place to become a ballerina and a skilled dancer. Those are almost impossible to find these days (and if I could drive forever for classes each week I would have Cares in the Ballet West Conservatory program in a heartbeat).

I have also been teaching for the University of Utah's Virginia Tanner classes the past 6 years and truly value their deliciously creative and very welcoming, encouraging dance environment. Of course Cares has danced with Tanner Dance before but she has been eager to wear ballet shoes and become a ballerina so I had to look outside that studio for a solid fit. I hope this little Kindergarten class will be a good place for Cares and will invite creative exploration, teach her some key ballet vocabulary without forcing any serious technique/turn-out on such a young body, and give her a good foundation for dancing again next year and adding on to what she has already learned. Maybe these are high expectations but they seem simple enough to me :) I know I should just be happy to have my girl dancing and using her beautiful little body to do something fun and healthy. But deep down I would love for her to embrace ballet the way I did in my youth and experience all the beauty of pointe shoes and tutus, recitals and performing, and working hard in the studio for strength and grace.

 On another note, I made this ballet shoe bag for Caroline over the weekend:



5 comments:

Flori said...

She seems so grown up in all the recent pics--and what a beauty!! You guys are in trouble...Maddie will have to give her tips on how hard it is to have all the boys in love with you! :)

Tell Cares I love her freckles. I always wanted some that went across my nose like that. She has such a happy face.

Heidi said...

O wait aren't those pictures of you when you were 5?

Care you sound like how I imagine Ben will be when Max starts playing football.

Anonymous said...

I love Caroline's freckles!!!

She was so cute in her ballet stuff yesterday. Maddie didn't get any cute workshop folders but told me that they went over a lot of rules. I guess it is a little more serious for her age group already. I hope I like this studio as well.

Bobbi said...

I hope she has a wonderful experience and loves dance like her mom. She does look like you, and seeing pics of her makes my heart expand with joyful memories and constrict with homesickness for those happy, delightful (albeit BUSY!) days long ago.

Bobbi said...

And very cute bag, crafty Carrie!