Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thoughts

So much running through my mind today that I thought I'd just write what I can. None of it really flows together or belongs in the same post. But that just happens to be my Tuesday this week...

Have you seen this month's Friend and the cute little scripture ornament tree? It's perfect for my young family and we have been using it for our scripture reading each night during December. I think we'll hang on to it and use it for several more years to come.

I cannot express how much I love the book of Luke in the New Testament. I remember studying it during a college course on the 4 Gospels and I suddenly discovered how beautiful it was. I particularly love the 1st chapter and the exchange between Mary and Elisabeth when they are both pregnant. Such pure and holy women those two. (click here to read Luke 1) And who doesn't love Luke 2? Choice words for the world's most important story.

Bentley worked on a school report last week that focused on Panama. He got to choose a Panamanian holiday to research and present on and so we learned all about Dia de los Reyes Magos--or Three Kings Day. What a cool idea, honoring and remembering the 3 wisemen who traveled far to worship the Savior. A funny thing they do to celebrate is make a cake with the baby Jesus hidden somewhere inside it. Whoever gets Jesus in his slice must throw a party for everyone there. More parties--more fun!

Olivia and I ran errands the whole time Cares was at preschool today (2 1/2 hours). We were on the hunt for some sea life creatures Bentley wants for Christmas. We saw them at the aquarium last week but I didn't want to go all the way back to buy them. But, eventually, I did. They were nowhere else to be found. And at least I got a discount with my membership. Livs was devastated that we popped in, bought the dolphins/whales tube, and then left. She was crying as we left and saying "sharks" over and over--very endearing. Sorry Livs!

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

Luke is a beautiful book. There is a tenderness and poetry about his words that conveys the sweet joy of that special occasion. I love it, too. Having been a pregnant mother, due at Christmas, that story became even more poignant and meaningful to me as I awaited the birth of my own little babe.
Poor Livvies, so sad at the non-aquarium visit!

Anonymous said...

We started the tree last night (our FRIEND didn't come until yesterday) and the kids loved gluing the ornaments on the tree after we read each part to catch up to the present time. Guess we can't reuse it if it is glued. Hmm. Oh well, we can reprint it next year from LDS.org.

What a good girl to shop with Mom for so long today! How cute that she wanted to see the sharks.

Heidi said...

I want to get my hands on a Friend just for that tree page! I wonder if there is a way for my to order it online (I know it is online but then it is not as cool).

Carol said...

Got your card in the mail yesterday...so, so cute! Love the bullet points! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!!