Thursday, December 2, 2010

Aquarium

A classic advent activity, no?

Mesmerized by the catsharks,

the tropical reef fish,

and the penguins.

It was such fun to head to our local aquarium today. It was nearly empty (we went after Bentley was done with school) and even though the rays were sleeping and still, and not at all interested in being petted, the sharks were show enough for us today. Because of Bentley's great love for them we are all a little more fascinated with them and know way more about them than we ever did. Livs finds Bentley's aquatic figures and calls them all "hwark." And today she learned to say "rays!" as we tried to urge them to swim around.


Being a voracious little learner, Bentley checked out the following book from the school library: Eyewitness Books: Sharks. No surprise there :) After I put Cares to bed the other night I came out of her room to find Beans laying on his tummy at the edge of the Christmas tree reading his shark book intently by the tree's light. Such a lovely little scene--one I hope to remember about my sweet boy forever. After quietly watching him for a minute or so, I laid down beside him and we read together, legs hanging in the air behind us. Beloved moments for me. Thank you sharks, for engaging my little boy so fully. And as Bentley said about them on Thanksgiving "for doing all the cool things I wish I could do."


**You know I really wanted to send you to this link for the catshark reference above...


3 comments:

Heidi said...

Ah ha ha I didn't know that is what Beans said on Thanksgiving. Awesome! Max is starting to get into sharks, I am sure the obsession would peak if he knew Bean was into them too- the Ethan/Willy/Bean trifecta is/are Max's idols.

Flori said...

So sweet. I love the intense learning phases. We've been through rocks/minerals, planets, sea creatures, and now phases of the moon. It's so awesome how kids learn, and how much they remember!

Bobbi said...

You think it is your role to teach your children, and you end up learning much from them, too. That is a sweet scene--love those one-on-one quiet moments. I've learned a lot about sharks from Bean, (and Cares, who tries to share what he has taught her, also).