Tuesday, September 21, 2010

California Girls

Now that the fire danger seems to be mostly abated and not at the top of my anxiety list, I am ready to blog about my weekend away...except that I don't have my fun pics to document it all. Lame. This post still has some potential as my friends are sending pics my way...

Thursday's Mexican lunch in Old Town San Diego:
**would have shown a picture of us with the Old Town sign**

Thank goodness we got this classy shot from Heather's phone:

Later that day we sat on the beach, happened upon a lively street fair in downtown Oceanside, and then caught a late showing of Inception--a movie I have been dying to see. And I was not disappointed--such a creative, interesting movie.

On Friday morning we gathered Katherine from the airport and indulged in breakfast at the Hotel Del Coronado. That is a gorgeous place with an awesome beach right off the hotel's property--I'd love to stay there with my kids someday.

Thanks for the photo Kath!

We drove to a nearby mall so we could shop at H&M and try on both over-the-top outfits and things we could actually buy. It was so funny trying on ugly/trashy things and then laughing about it together. I honestly have so much fun with these girls--we have to pull out a few silly antics from our high school days right? Who else can you do that with anyway?

Again we hit the beach for a few hours and then drove into Leucadia for a late pizza dinner.

hooray for iPhone pics--I love these cute girls

Saturday morning we went for a run/walk right along the boardwalk and then stopped by a local spa for pedicures (which I'd love to show you pictures of...sigh...) We grabbed lunch to go and went out to the beach where we stayed for a good 4+ hours. I never sit around laying out like that (hours on end!) but when it is a gorgeously warm day and there are 3 great friends to chat with non-stop, the time just flies by. We may have gotten a bit giddy and taken some Top Model shots to entertain ourselves for a bit. Again, those were lost with the camera and its dishonest new owner (who hasn't turned it into Lost & Found--I know because I have been checking back like clockwork...) At least I hope they got a kick out of us and our beach poses...because we sure did :)
One shot we caught with Ang's phone--me and the seaweed:

see what I mean?
and have I mentioned that I am so sad I don't have our "real" beach pictures? arghhh....
Heather sent me the only one of all 4 of us in the sun that day:


It was hard to pack up and leave the beach that day knowing our trip was almost over. But we enjoyed one last dinner out and spent the night talking and talking, looking through an old HS yearbook, watching The Proposal back at the beach house, and eating delicious Ghirardelli brownies.

Sunday morning we were all up and out the door by 7:45 am--off to the airport and our flights back home. Did I mention that between the 4 of us we have 13 children collectively? Our helpful (loving, wonderful, devoted) husbands were about at the end of their ropes by then too.

Such a great adventure. And while the beach was lovely and a fun destination, I know I could have just as much fun with these friends anywhere. The last time we really got away together I was brand new pregnant with Caroline and we spent a weekend at my parents' SG house. I don't want to wait another 5 years before we do this again, ok ladies? Love you all (and all of you who couldn't make it!)


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Pedicures, beach, shopping, eating out, silliness- sounds like so much fun! Now I am craving a girl trip, someday when we live by family and my husband doesn't work 80 plus hours a week, someday.

Anonymous said...

Looks heavenly. And those are still some great shots from the phone! Such cute girls.

Katherine said...

Okay. Let's do it again ASAP. Such a fun memory.
Hugs!!!

Angela Jensen said...

Miss you,

Pugsley said...

I thought about you gals all weekend! Glad I didn't commit--I was coughing for two weeks, but I'm looking forward to next time (don't let me make any lame excuses, like gum surgery!).