Wednesday, September 22, 2010

12 Years Ago

"At 11:00 am today a big group of us took a boat ride on the Thames in 70 degree weather. We passed many famous sites: St. Paul's, Tower of London, and Sir Christopher Wren's Fire Monument. I learned that the Thames is 215 miles long with a 17 to 26 foot rise and fall each day--wow. Our journey ended in Greenwich--home of the Prime Meridian. While at the National Maritime Museum the digital clock there read:
Year: 1998 Days: 262 Hours: 14 Minutes: 31 Seconds: 20

It was so cool there--the Royal Observatory is on a hill in the pretty, lush Greenwich park and it overlooks the Thames as well as the gorgeous Royal Naval Academy. Architecturally it is stunning..."
--from a journal entry dated September 19th, 1998

Gathering up my essential documents and treasured books and albums the other night, my London journal joined the ranks. And I have been rereading it the past few days when I grab a free moment eating lunch or while the kids are asleep. Such an amazing time of my life and I am so happy I became a religious journal writer during it, capturing each experience, day trip, morning run, museum visit, random event, cute boy (I mention these often :) and night out during the entire semester. I wrote almost every single day and always had a ton to say.

My cousin is living there right now--at the same old (perfectly situated) BYU Centre that I lived in all those years ago. Reading her blog brings it all back to me. Good memories to think back on for sure...and man, was I young! I am laughing at so many of my entries and how, well, naive and immature I was. Maybe we all were at 19 years old but I for sure thought I was quite grown-up and cultured for my age. Such fun...


3 comments:

Heidi said...

London, London, London! Such amazing memories. That was when I did the best journaling of my life too. One of my best friends here has a little sister on study abroad with Becca and I keep checking her blog too ;-)

Anonymous said...

This was just what I needed to see today! A little London escape is so rejuvenating, even if it is just a trip down memory lane. I am aching to go back though...how I love that place.

I love how the clothes totally date these pictures! I remember lots of denim shirts and pegged pants and sweater vests from my study abroad. Good stuff!

Bobbi said...

Becca's blog is fun to read, to be reminded our you three girls' experiences there. I am so grateful we were able to provide that opportunity for you girls.