Monday, April 5, 2010

Remembering the Sun

Our last big adventure before heading home last weekend included a fun little hike to a red rock hill and cavern like lava tube. We hit the canyon between conference sessions on Saturday with my parents, Ben and Max in tow. Did I mention that my hubby flew back down to us on Friday night and rescued me from single parenthood?

Starting out on the Butterfly Trail


We happened upon this lava tube

and my kids, Joseph and Grandpa Sherm were down inside it within a matter of minutes.


See the rocky hill in the background?

In this pic the kids are halfway up it.

And here they are at the top!
Cares informed us that she used up all her "energies" on each part of the hike and by the time she reached the car at the end she only had a "teeny tiny bit of energies left."


We got home last night and woke up to quite a yucky day outside today. Wet, gray and cold. I got hailed on running out to the car after volunteering in Bentley's classroom this afternoon. But then again this is typical April weather around here.

I am definitely missing the sun after our 10 day indulgence down south. My goal each day was to wear the kids out from running and climbing and swimming and hiking and breathing in tons of fresh air and basking in the spring sun's warmth. It worked. And managed to wear me out each day too--but it felt so good. I started some swim training for this summer's triathlon and it was such fun. Back in my swim team days (waaaaay back) I hated swimming laps in the early morning hours and trying so hard to keep up with my team mates during workouts. Now I just swim as many laps as I please at any pace I want--which makes me push myself just enough to really feel it but enjoy it too. My mom describes it as very "Zen" exercising and I would have to agree.


5 comments:

Krista said...

so I was wondering seeing Joseph in the pics on the before post. That's so fun that he flew in to SAVE you. Looks like fantastic weather and you have champion hikers. I love the "energies" word cares used. We're full of funny weather now too but you just take what you can get with the sunshine. I'm glad you had a fun trip.

Heidi said...

Love Cares and her energies.

And Ben hiking in flip-flops... good times.

How about you do it again next spring break and I will meet you there? I know Max is already dreaming of sleeping on the bunk beds with Beans and Cares.

Bobbi said...

It was fun to be with you for at least part of the sunny days in SG. Your kids were such big helpers with their kindness to Max, and were cute in their deep tiredness each night. It was lovely to feel warm in the sun and to be with you.

Heidi C said...

Carrie- A triathalon? Good for you. I did a sprint one 2 summers ago and had a great time. I would love to do one again but not this year, I am not training for anything but a new baby! Which one are you doing? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Man, where can I get some energies? How cute is that girl?

What a beautiful hike!