Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Papa

Smith family 1975


My sweet Papa Smith passed away this afternoon. And I am certain there was an immediate reunion in heaven--one that was most joyful, most tender and highly anticipated by his sweetheart of almost 70 years. I love thinking about the two of them together again. It makes me so happy I can hardly contain my emotions (and why is it that the tears keep flowing as I think on it?)

My good old grandpa. He was a man among men--a hard worker, a patriot and war veteran, learned scholar, proudest of proud fathers, and always a devoted saint. There is much to say to his credit but last night, in his quiet and subdued bedroom, all 5 of his children and their spouses gathered around him to say goodbye. And I think my papa would count that alone as one of his finest moments. I was lucky enough to be there too, to see his beloved daughter doting on him and caring for him as she always has, to see his 4 sons gather around him and give him a heart-felt Priesthood blessing, to see his daughters-in-law quietly and lovingly strengthening each other and all around them. It was beautiful to be there and be a tiny part of that sacred evening.

Joseph and I had the chance to visit my papa just 10 days ago while he was in the hospital. He was doing very well then, considering how fast things turned for the worse, and we were able to have a long and lovely chat with him. My children brought cards they had made for him and he read Bentley's cute Kindergarten writing with pride. He recounted tales from the past for us--something he was always very fond of doing. He could spin quite a tale and even at 93 years of age he never forgot a detail or specific name and place from the past. We listened and enjoyed his company. My darling little Caroline sat on the foot of his bed and carefully and gently rested her hand on my papa's leg. A little later she moved her hand up to his hand and was softly rubbing his old and aged skin. She looked at him with a sweet smile and was just content to be at his side, sharing her love with a man she knew I loved. I think it was one of the sweetest and kindest things I have ever seen...my young girl teaching me about love, about charity. I hope to have that image forever imprinted on my heart.

I am grateful for the many memories I have of my grandparents and being in their home on Ash Avenue. My grandpa loved to refer to us grandkids as "hoodlums" and ask us what kind of trouble we were getting into when we saw him (classic grandpa move right?) When I was in college, he and my Tutu would host a college kids fireside one Sunday a month. I remember attending those first with my big sis when we were both at BYU and then with Joseph. It was the perfect chance for our retired professor grandpa to wax eloquent about any topic he deemed pertinent. We had a lot of fun egging him on as preached/taught. But the best part was watching my grandparents interact with each other during these events. My Tutu always called him out when he was taking things too far or talking for too long. She was such a great partner for him and it gave him a sparkle in his eye to see her get fired up. They were such a funny pair--and perfectly in love through it all. Such great examples to me. I love and miss them both.

at Tutu's funeral in 2008



6 comments:

Bobbi said...

Dear Sweet Carrie,
I applaud you for capturing the
essence of Papa in such a few short paragraphs. I'm happy you knew him, loved him, and could share that love with your own kids. The moment with Caroline had to be precious, and it
indicates how much inner connection children can have with nurturing and connecting to family. Thanks for your tender thoughts on this important day for all of Papa's family. Dad

Anonymous said...

I already knew this story about Caroline and yet I am crying again! This was a lovely tribute to a man who tried his best. How grateful I am for the knowledge we have of life after death...thinking about Tutu reuniting with her husband is the sweetest thought.

Heidi said...

Sweet Caroline, thanks for sharing Care.

Bobbi said...

That is a tender story and you wrote a great tribute to your grandfather. I, too, love thinking of the 2 of them reuniting.

ba and the boys said...

very sorry for your loss. at least your 2 big kids will always have that last memory of him to keep with them until they see him again!

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear of your loss.