Sunday, April 25, 2010

Papa's Funeral


We attended Papa's funeral yesterday and it was such a beautiful meeting. I loved hearing the endearing stories his children told and the way they captured his unique personality as well as his great legacy. I cried and cried through it all. It was very cathartic and actually quite exhausting. But what a wonderful way to celebrate a life well-lived. I loved that each of my grandpa's children shared their love for their father right along with their love of the Lord and the truths of the gospel.

The proceedings at the cemetery were equally moving for me. My Papa, an honored war veteran, was buried with military honors--a powerful and patriotic thing to experience. The 21 gun salute was very cool to witness, and it was followed by Taps played on the trumpet. It was such a reverent and beautiful event, and I know my Papa would have enjoyed it very much.


April 24th, 2010

the pallbearers

the whole family

my family

the 21 gun salute



Tutu's grave

the grandchildren

the children

and their spouses
I love these people, my aunts and uncles. They are all such amazing, loving people.

view of the lake from Papa and Tutu's graves




3 comments:

Krista said...

Care I've read your other two posts on your papa. He sounds like a wonderful man. I'm sorry. I think it's such a nice thing to have funerals to be with those closest to you and remember the good things of your grandpa. I hope this will be a fond memory in the future for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Please send me those pics of the boots and the siblings!

It was a lovely day.

Heidi said...

Can you send me any that Joe took of Max- particularly the one of him with the grave?

It was a nice day and I even learned a few things Papa.