Monday, October 12, 2009

Swiss Holiday

Zermatt Resort--as close to Switzerland as I'm getting this year...



I have to admit I was a horrible photographer this weekend, sometimes forgetting the camera in the hotel room, other times forgetting to actually use it, and then oft times, sending the big kids off with their daddy and grandparents to swim, wander the grounds, eat lunch and so on while Olivia and I took naps. All those naps sounds pretty dreamy actually--except for the fact that we were making up for tons of lost sleep during the night. Combining teething, a lingering cough, and a Graco with an 8 month old made for a bit of a disaster come the wee hours of the night.

Sleeping aside, we had a wonderful weekend. Three cheers for Nanny and Grandpa Neil who doted on our children nonstop. They played tons of games with them, took them swimming, fed them meals, gave them special prizes, bought them gelato--twice, and ended up sleeping with all of them at one point or another. We loved having Ruth Ann and Neil all to ourselves during our stay.

I have to admit that my massage was quite a highlight. I went in to it with a sore back from a restless night and an ever growing baby that seems to get heavier each day. And I left that massage feeling like a new woman--a relaxed, calm, ache-free woman. It was amazing and I have decided that I need those more often. Like once a month or so :) The calm and relaxed version of me didn't last too long once we found our crazy kids again but my back has continued to feel great. Such a treat!

Once we checked out on Saturday I realized we'd never left the resort during our 3 day stay--an arrangement I loved because it was so easy and convenient to do so. We ate at the restaurants there, hung out together in our rooms and around the grounds and when the kids were all sleeping on Friday night, Joseph, Neil and I wandered down the hall to the common area and played trains (Nanny listened for the not-so-soundly sleeping kids next door and ended up with Bentley and Olivia in her room before long--thank you Ruth Ann!)


4 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds like a perfect fall getaway for your little fam! Looks so lovely up there.

My sister in law, Annette, gets a massage once a month. To her it's like, of course, who wouldn't. Someday if we ever have it in the budget I want to do the same, I would put it above pedis!

Carol said...

Ahhh, the never ending sleep issue when it comes to traveling with small children. This is why we love Papa's Snowbird the best because there are three units with doors between each one. A well rested mommy is a much happier mommy. :)
BTW, the resort looks absolutely delightful.

Anonymous said...

Aside from the restless nights, the weekend sounds so fun! And how fun to have grandparent time without having to share it with others. Those experiences are so memorable.

Love the massage idea. Except I had a two hour massage for an anniversary gift from my thoughtful hubby and I don't think I can ever go back to one hour. Ever. Talk about TOTAL relaxation. I am always left wanting after one hour but my dreamy state after two hours was something I have never experienced before. I will be splurging on that again.

Bobbi said...

It sounds great, Carrie. What fun, and Midway is especially beautiful this time of year. It is fun to have the whole family together, but really nice to have one family at a time, too. The grandparents get more attention than when the cousins are all with each other. I'm sure RuthAnn and Neil loved it.
Massages are healthful for a person, I am convinced of it. 2 hours sounds divine, Cec!