Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Weekend

Our last one. And 101 degrees to boot! Try setting up a tent (or taking one down) in that...we were quite sweaty :)


To test out Joseph's new birthday tent we had a backyard camp-out on Friday night. By the time the tent was up on Friday evening, Caroline was at her wits end and simply wanted to climb into her own bed and fall asleep. So we let her do just that. And then Joseph and I stayed up late with Bentley to watch Horton Hears a Who projected on to the backyard fence. Then the boys slept outside and the girls slept inside (worked out better that way when Olivia woke up at 5:30 the next morning :)



I love Utah summers. Triple digits at the end of the day but once the sun sets, dropping steadily and cooling right down. We loved being outside and seeing the stars and feeling the crisp air on our skin.

Saturday evening we headed up the canyon where, surprisingly, it wasn't all that much cooler. We met up with some friends for Cafe Rio ala Park City, and then hit the cabin for some games, a walk, and Jim Gaffigan's new DVD. That was a beautiful thing to watch at midnight--my tired hubby laughed uncontrollably, with tears and body shakes and everything. He made me laugh more than the comedy act--but I still enjoyed old Jim too.

Bentley and Caroline with their new friend Kate

smiley-pie "chub LeBub"

On Sunday we came back down to my in-laws house and they babysat the kids so we could attend the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication. It was such a lovely part of my day. I wept during each talk. I have never felt the power of eternal families more strongly. I heard of many who sacrificed so very much: a family who traveled with 2 small children to make it to the temple to be sealed together only to have their little ones die on the journey home--but feel so much peace that at least they had gained the sealing blessings beforehand; a family in Tonga who had only been sealed to 4 of 10 children because they couldn't yet afford to take the others to the far away temple in New Zealand. And what do I have to sacrifice? Nothing compared to those fine saints. They are incredible examples to me.

Elder W. Craig Zwick spoke specifically to the youth who were in attendance. He was very tender and heartfelt as he invited them to come to the temple as soon as they were 12 and to stay worthy to go there for baptisms in their youth and then receive their own endowment and other ordinances as adults. I hope it hit those young ones as much as it did me--and it made me excited to take my own kids to the temple when they are of age. It was a beautiful meeting and I am so glad I had the chance to participate in it.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love camping in the backyard! Fun that Bean is old enough to enjoy it.

I heart Chub LeBub!

I have to admit I was on the verge of throwing up for about half of the dedication so I missed a few stories- the stake center I was in was boiling. But what I did hear I thought was very powerful and I just loved seeing so many families with their 8 year olds (and older) there in attendance. I hope someday my own little family can do just the same.

Anonymous said...

You really did pack in the activities this weekend! That tent looks great and I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it. Or at least your hubby will while you sleep in your comfy bed :-).

I was sad to miss the dedication but there was no way to leave my sickly husband in charge of Connor (especially if I had Eth, the other best helper, with me) so I did my best to promote family time with watching old movies and laughing at my silly kids all afternoon. Maybe you can share more of their stories and testimonies with me tomorrow at The Farm.

Livvy is too sweet in that picture!

Bobbi said...

I want to hear more of the stories, too. I let Heidi take my ticket since she didn't get to attend the Draper Temple dedication and I was crazy getting ready to leave (despite laying out things for weeks). I am glad you went, it will always be a special temple for you. Fun backyard campout--clever idea to watch the movie on the fence!