Tuesday, August 18, 2009

O is for...

...our Olivia


She is 6 months old today. I think I'd like to freeze time right this instant and keep her just the way she is forever--small and cuddly but chubby and solid, soft and fluffy as her new, light hair grows in, gurgling and cooing while she plays, and settling right in to a great schedule including 11 or 12 hours of sleep at night (not always uninterrupted sleep mind you...but we are getting there).


At 6 months:

--She has recently discovered her feet both as an edible treat and fascinating toy.
--She is quite enamored with bath time.
--Our Livs is a happy little soul, especially after getting a good rest--talking and squawking until we go in to get her. And when she sees us it's like she smiles with her whole body, kicking and wiggling, baring that huge, gummy smile and squealing with glee. It melts my heart--even at 6 in the morning.
--She loves Bentley's soft hair and silly tickling games, Caroline's cuddly animals and tender hugs, and her daddy's scratchy scruff and calming songs.



And she really loves her mommy (if I do say so myself...) She is a serious fan of breastmilk and snuggling close to me for feedings. But she also seems to have a distinct preference for me over anyone else which is kind of tricky. And kind of naughty. And oh so endearing--ties my heart right up to hers and makes me feel extra special. It is definitely a new thing for me since both of my older children have really, really loved their daddy from the very beginning (which has been a lovely thing for all of us). I wonder if our tight bond is the result of her being my 3rd child-- I assumed all baby duties from the very beginning (being the source of all her food) while Joseph took care of the big kids. I loved having him around to help with the more "verbal" children while I could sit down and nurse or rock Olivia in another room--tucked away in peace. I think that has pulled me close to my tiny one. Her needs have provided a sweet escape. Don't get me wrong--I love having big kids to take to the pool, the park, the library, to eat picnic lunches and have silly dance parties with. But I love that Olivia has allowed me to revisit the quiet world of lullabies, lotion massages, and a little body to hold and rock.

7 comments:

Krista said...

That just sounds sweet (the last paragraph...having quiet times like that). I am absolutely loving the last pic of O. I want to pinch those cute cheekies.

Bobbi said...

Oh that third child. so sweet, so attached, so wonderful to have. I hope she turns out just like her third child mother and father--pleasant, caring, patient, mending, accomplished but not arrogant. I love your little Olivia (and look forward to the day she loves me!). And I loved having her mommy as my own cherished babe.

Bobbi said...

Sweet Olivia, she gives such classic smiles and grins. What a special little lady she is!

Heidi said...

whoops that was me.

Anonymous said...

I love that we are in that little world together, enjoying soft, sweet babies.

Love Olivia's expressions and her full-body smiles. She is a cutie!!!

Robert Christensen said...

One word. Yummy. This is my favorite age too. (and this is flori posting)

Charisse said...

Carrie- I am Joseph's second cousin Reecy. I have been following your blog for a while and I just want to thank you for being such a great example of being a mom and a great family. My husband and I are going through a divorce and I just want you to know that your blog gives me the desire to strive to have a family like yours. Thank you so much!