Saturday, August 8, 2009

Copper Mine

8 billion years ago the earth's tectonic plates shifted during a catastrophic, magma fueled earthquake forcing rich mineral debris out of the earth's core and into the Oquirrh Mountains of northern Utah...

Or something like that. Maybe I am confusing things with the article on Yellowstone's super volcano from last month's National Geographic. (I wonder if I fooled anyone just now into thinking I am some sort of uber-cultured brainiac with that National Geographic comment. FYI--I read the 3 magazines I found on the houseboat while in Lake Powell last week: US Weekly, People, and National Geographic--a perfect mix of celebrity gossip and geological data.) But that's not really the point of this entry is it? I am simply trying to document Summer Adventure #11--visiting the Bingham Canyon Copper Mine. (And here's a link to actual information on the mine--which is mostly for my dad in case he sees this entry and then simply has to read something concrete and accurate about it. Believe me he was a truly dedicated fan of the encyclopedia before the internet was around...)

The mine is amazing. Seriously. And I am not even a fan of larger than life dump trucks and excavators as far as the eye can see. Just standing at the overlook and merely taking in its incredible size is pretty overwhelming. But, it's a good thing I just so happened to bring along my truck-loving boy. He was stunned and captivated during our whole visit. And he had his 2 favorite role models (Ethan and Will) at his side so he was pretty much in heaven. Inside the visitor's center, Cec and I took our kids to see the 15 minute movie all about the mine. At times it was a little over my head and so I leaned over to my sis and said "I sure hope Bentley is getting all of this!" And then when we got home he drew his interpretation of the mine and totally recreated a particularly scientific scene from the movie. How his little brain works...

Big boys surveying the scene

The crew in front of the gigantic tire

6 of which drive around this beast. Notice how dinky the F-150 looks in comparison?

Girls will be girls

Notice the copper sign?

Here it is in detail


And last but not least, the sweet babes who we continually tote along on our big summer adventures. They are so patient with us. Even when they are so very ready for naps and we suddenly spot the gift shop...I mean, you simply can't skip the gift shop right?
My mother trained me better than that :)


6 comments:

Joseph said...

Babe, you should totally write for National Geographic. I thought that first part was a quote!

Carrie said...

haha--I am tricky like that :)

Anonymous said...

You ARE tricky like that. Way to go on the educational comment...I was trying to remember that part of the movie!

Loved the activity with you guys. Can you believe we finally made it there?

Bobbi said...

Looks like lots of fun. I still have the pic of Cecily sitting in that big tire crying madly. I haven't seen the movie. Sherm and I better make a trip out there, he will be intrigued when he reads this!

Heidi said...

Love the photo of you and Cec hugging. I mean, of Cares and Maddie hugging.

ba and the boys said...

we have been there a couple of times. the last time natey was acting up and my brother threatened to throw him over the edge!