Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bentley is 5


Good morning! Early riser that he is, Bentley woke up at 6:45 am--well before anyone else
(I wonder if he was excited about his birthday...) He climbed in our bed and camped out until his breakfast in bed was ready. Cares wanted us to wake her up so she wouldn't miss out on any of the festivities.

kids hanging out

birthday breakfast

birthday presents

birthday dinner at Pizza Factory


and Fat Cats arcade after we ate

5 years.

Really? 5 years have passed? My first born is 5. I have been a mama for 5 years now. Wow. I think back to the day my little Bentley was born and it feels like it just happened (maybe because I just birthed a new one 3 months ago...)

5 years ago at 6:10 pm I first met my Bentley--and it was the best. I had no idea what to expect or how it would feel and I certainly didn't have a clue about taking care of him. And then the whole birthing process turned out better than I ever expected and suddenly there was this beautiful, stunning, fresh baby boy in my arms. And we just kept looking at each other, face to face for the first time and I knew he knew he belonged to me. I felt overwhelmed and excited, and unexpectedly ready--ready to raise this tiny infant and take on the challenges of parenting. I looked at him and wept at the miracle Joseph and I had created together. I wept because of the powerful joy and quiet innocence he brought into my life on that day. And I wept because of the love--oh my goodness the love! It has continued to grow every day of his life...certainly adds up after 5 years...

My 5 year old boy:

He loves to create--draw, color, cut, tape and glue. He is continually thinking of new things to make out of paper. He also loves Legos and blocks--more things to build and create with.

He is smiley and wild, loves to giggle, is learning to tease us with clever quips, sings or hums off and on throughout the day, dances to Coldplay and Lenka with me, loves to eat bananas, cheeseburgers, pizza, and chicken, still adores Hot Wheels and race cars and race tracks, and has a new affinity for Transformers (they are pretty cool toys of you ask me...)

During the past year Bentley has made huge strides in his swimming abilities. Last summer he was most comfortable in a life jacket while in the water and suddenly, this spring, Bentley learned to make do with just water wings and then realized he just needed to use both his arms and legs and he would stay above the water. In California last month he even started doing flips into the water from the side of the pool and from Joe's shoulders--and finding his way to the surface without any trouble. He really is a little fish!

Bentley is a good boy and makes his family so proud. His sisters adore him and he loves to be their entertainer and friend. Happy happy birthday to my sweet Bentley boy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that picture of Caroline at Fat Cats? HILARIOUS! She stole the show in those pictures and it isn't even her birthday! Are you kidding me with that skinny belt? Love it. Is that the one that broke her IKEA lamp :-)?

Happy Birthday sweet Bentley! I was so honored to watch your entrance into this world and I am so glad that you have brought much happiness into your parent's lives. You are witty and energetic and smart (even though you don't like learning). We love you and are so glad you are ours!

Heidi said...

I remember I was at a BYU baseball game in Provo when Bentley was born. So glad he is my nephew. I love all the entertainment and smiles he provides. He has been a great older cousin to Max as well.

Krista said...

that big fish bentley. Doing flips?? Amazing. Happy Birthday beans!

Bobbi said...

Happy birthday, Bentley Bear. We do love you, too. Your big smile that lights up your whole face (which Olivia seems to have inherited, too) gives us happy hearts. Your jokes make us laugh and your artistic, creative side has often amazed us. Your energy is enviable. 5 years old and off to school, real school this fall--how did it come so quickly? I remember your arrival, too--what a thrill. We love you, Bentley.--Grandma ("What did you say, Grandma Bobbi?" and Grandpa Sherm

ba and the boys said...

i remember when my folks used to say how fast times goes, and i didnt believe them-until i became a mommy!
happy birthday little b!