Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tutu's Funeral

What a lovely meeting and day it was when we celebrated the life of our Tutu. The funeral was beautiful and very tender simply because my grandma's 5 children spoke so lovingly of their mother.

It was actually so fun to gather again with so many cousins that I haven't seen in years and years. We were very close growing up thanks to the yearly traditions of the 4th of July water-fight at Tutu and Papa's house and Christmas Eve at my great aunt Beth's house. My grandparents have created quite a growing family--from 5 children to 28 grandchildren to 49 great-grandchildren (with 4 more due in the next 7 months). It is amazing to me how much we have all grown-up! I loved looking around at the viewing and funeral and seeing so many people that I know and love--they are my family and I am proud to be included in their midst.


My Papa and his children: Charlotte, Sherman, Emery, (Papa) and Ron. In the back row: Jeff and all the sibling's "surrogate brother" Gifford Nielson (he practically grew-up at my Uncle Jeff's side
and loved my Tutu as his 2nd mom :)


some of my closest girl cousins: Barbara, (me), Carol and Audrey

Tutu's pallbearers--her grandsons (only my cousin David and little brother Marshall weren't able to attend)

our big group photo (we're missing some faces--Joseph and Chad had headed back to work and Bentley had decided he wasn't in a cooperative mood...)

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I am sad I missed out on the pics. It was such a nice day to be part of though!!!

Heidi said...

Oh and did you know our cousin Linda is due in December? So actually 4 more grandkids on the way

Carol said...

The day really was beautiful and I am so glad that I got to see you again.
Thanks for posting the pictures...you got some really good ones.

Anonymous said...

SO lovely. Thank you for letting me have all of those pictures. You will probably see them all on my blog!
And there are actually 49 great grandkids already. Linda will have #50, me #51, John and Lindsay #52, and you #53! Wow, what a legacy.

Carrie said...

whoa--I totally got the numbers wrong--haha! Should have read the obituary more closely :) I 'll change the facts.

Maggie said...

It is always great how funerals can turn into such reunions. We love and miss you guys.

Krista said...

wow your family is enormous. I'm sorry about the passing of tutu but we know she's in a better place and like mags said it is so good to see family that you don't see for awhile.