Friday, March 9, 2007

Happy Birthday Johnny

It is John's birthday today and I am realizing that when he seems to be getting older and quickly approaching 30, it just means that I am too--yikes! Oh boy--where I do I begin with Johnny Cakes LeBaron? My earliest memories of John surround my senior year of high school: seeing him as Judah in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat just before school began, meeting him at church when we were both new kids in the ward, taking all my friends to see him in Guys and Dolls that winter, and then chatting with him after the Highland Dance concert in the spring. We ran into each other here and there at BYU but I really got to know John when I started dating Joseph. This may seem odd since John was far away serving a mission in Brazil but as I got to know Joseph, I learned about John through his brother's eyes. I began to love the things that Joseph loved about him: his creativity, his great sense of humor, his desire to always be better, his spirituality and his loyalty to family.

John has been through one of the hardest trials I can imagine and yet his testimony runs pure and deep. I am grateful when I catch a glimpse of it through emails to missionaries, blessings for family members and so on. I absolutely adore and admire his wife Krista and think they are so amazing together--they teach me a lot. Johnny is a good daddy and seems to know Sisi's schedule inside and out. I love that John takes care of my hubby and understands him in a way that only brothers can. When Joseph and I lived away from the family in Phoenix, John visited us more than any other LeBaron and ended up staying several times at all our homes (the apartment, mansion, and townhouse to be exact). I love those memories--you'll always be a welcome house guest Johnny ;)

5 comments:

Heidi said...

You guys sure did move around a lot in AZ!

I remember Johnny in Guys and Dolls. Love those Lebaron boys voices!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday John! My favorite John (and a couple of Lebaron brothers) memory is when he went swimming in your pool at the mansion in the freezing water in January. Ok, it was 80 degrees that week and I wasn't even at your house that day but I thought that was hilarious that those crazy boys were swimming in the "winter." They definitely have a good time together and have a deep love for each other.

Bobbi said...

We got to see John in Guys and Dolls too--what talent! I like to hear him sing almost as much as I like to hear Joseph. And he was our hometeacher with his dad. I loved that he seemed comfortable in our home right away, and was funny and happy. I love, too, that he has made it through sorrow back into joy--he deserves it. He makes me laugh. Sherm loved his drive all the way to Lake Powell just with Johnny that one year, and gained great respect for him as they discussed both light and heavy things. Happy birthday, Johnny! Sherm and I love you!

Krista said...

That is so nice to read such sweet things from the Smith girls about my hubby. Thanks so much. Carrie it was fun to read about Johnny in your blog. We missed you at Sunday dinner. We need to get together soon. Mary and I are thinking of going up to Park City on Friday. Are you in?

johnnyboy said...

Aw shucks. I was in Guys 'n Dolls, but I don't remember this kid. Sounds like a little too much blogmentation if you ask me.

Anyway, I had a great b-day and probably didn't help any diet plans by dragging your husband to the Red Iguana. However, I did get a new mountain bike for my b-day, so I'll make sure to drag him out riding.