Sunday, June 19, 2011

As a Father

My father taught me to listen
To wild birds’ morning song,
To laughter of the rippling brook,
To gladness all day long.

My father taught me courage.
When I would walk away
And leave unpleasant work undone,
He gave me strength to stay.

At evening when dark shadows
Were waiting everywhere,
He helped me find a special Friend.
My father taught me prayer.

(song found here)

The children in our ward sang this lovely song today along with beautiful sign language actions. The lyrics are so sweet and simple--they had Joseph and me undone before the first verse was even over.

I think one of the happiest things in my life as I've grown older is to see the love my children have for their daddy and the love he has for them in return. It is so raw, so pure, so full of life and joy. It's beautiful.

Joseph is an amazing dad. He loves to truly play with our kids and that makes him so fun. He is the king of tickle-wars and wrestling, telling fantastic made-up tales about "Bentley the Brave" and "Caroline the Courageous" (and "Olivia the Almost Brave"), drawing anything and everything the kids can think of, and singing all sorts of songs. He also makes sure scriptures are read with the kids each night, that we pray as a family, that we work together and play together, and that our children learn what is right and wrong.

During General Conference this past April, Beans and Cares were getting super restless and just wanted to play in the freshly fallen snow. So we dressed them up and sent them out thinking we'd have so much calm and quiet to listen to the afternoon session. But again and again they came to back door and begged their daddy to come play—mostly to help them roll some huge snowballs they'd started making. Joseph was sweet to agree and headed outside to play for a bit. While he was out there Elder Scott spoke and gave the most tender talk on marriage on family. He spoke specifically of taking time out to play with his children and roll around with them in the fall leaves. He described what happened after:

The next morning about 4:00 a.m., I was awakened as I felt two little arms around my neck, a kiss on the cheek, and these words whispered in my ear, which I will never forget: “Dad, I love you. You are my best friend.”

If you are having that kind of experience in your family, you are having one of the supernal joys of life.


My husband has most certainly discovered this truth.

And I love that some of my favorite, early memories of my own dad include leg-rides, bull-rides, tickling games and the family log roll. I love that my dad now loves to play with my kids and tell nonsense secrets, throw them around in the pool, and be their loving grandpa.

I feel so blessed to have good fathers in my life and wish them a truly happy father's day.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I didn't get to hear that talk during conference but I recently read it and remember underlining that very part, it touched my heart in so many ways. Happy Father's Day to Joseph, I know he has had a positive impact on Ben in being an example to him.

Bobbi said...

Joseph is a wonderful dad. I love to watch his very obvious joy in interacting with his children.

Anonymous said...

Joseph is amazing with children and I know that my children feel very comfortable around him and they love to play with him. I know that my children would be in the best hands with you and Joe should anything ever happen to us.

That talk by Elder Scott was very memorable and I was so moved by his stories and his emotion.