Monday, October 4, 2010

Talks to Remember

So much to remember from conference this weekend. I find more and more lately that the counsel and direction are just what I need to hear. And more often than not I feel humbled, inspired to change, and motivated to try harder and become a more dedicated, more obedient, latter-day saint.

A few talks I will be listening to again very soon (and re-reading when I get them):

1) Elder Christofferson's talk about simplifying life and focusing on the essentials.
2) Elder Larry R. Lawrence's talk on parenting.
3) President Monson's talk on living a life of gratitude.

I was also very grateful for Sister Thompson's talk about visiting teaching from the General Relief Society meeting because she reminded me of its worth and how I need to approach it with a desire to love and serve rather than a desire to get it done. I'm pretty sure I still have a lot to learn in that area.

And Elder Holland's loving talk on Saturday morning filled my heart. I loved his stories about quiet service and how small and simple acts of love and kindness define a truly good soul. His humble gratitude for each of us trying our best in our own little ways was so lovely to hear and very gracious of him to share.

Of course watching/listening to conference with 3 busy (and verbal) kiddos around is not the most productive way to take it all in--so I will have to dig in over the next few weeks. Don't you love how easy it is to do that these days? We are so spoiled.

Here's my new favorite conference link...

And my favorite primary children filling out conference bingo like crazy (all during Elder Eyring's talk--almost gave them blackout with just the one speech!)




3 comments:

Heidi said...

Was Lawrence's talk the one about no sleepovers? I vaguely rememer that, and Monson's attitude of gratitude. Seriously conference was such a blur, my head was tied to the toilet yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Conference with Connor was quite an experience. He colored on the couch, the fireplace, the table...good times! I am also going to have to go back and study several of those talks.

What a great weekend though and I loved the talk about parenting teens and also the talks by D. Todd Christofferson and Pres. Uchtdorf. So much I need to work on and implement and prepare myself for but what an uplifting array of messages.

Poor Heidi on the toilet during it...that is too fresh in my mind from this past week but at least it was all night so I didn't have to face that terrible feat during the day! And without a husband around to help out without the little ones...that makes it extra hard. Hope you are feeling better little sis!

Bobbi said...

The talks and spirit were superb. We missed much of Sat. a.m. since Dad was golfing with Tye, so we watched it for FHE tonight. Elder Holland's talk was especially touching and uplifting. So sad for Heidi--it all rang a bell from several years ago for me in Denver with little ones to care for and no family around. Very glad Ben could arrange to come home for a bit to help out, and glad you are better today, Heid.