Sunday, March 28, 2010

31

Today I am 31. It is my birthday and I am bummed that it doesn't exactly feel like my birthday. Do you know what I mean? All about expectations and how this day would somehow be totally different and I would have a phone ringing off the hook, an inbox full of greetings and love, I'd feel totally pampered, and have perfectly behaved kids. Not so much what happened today...

But it is late. I am tired. We just got home from a crazy adventure that should have been quite simple and yet turned out to be way more work than I was expecting. And it took so much longer than I had planned on--a tricky thing when toting a 1-year old around.

The morning started out sunny and bright. My hubby let me sleep in (which doesn't really work in the airy SG house...but it still felt nice to say in bed and drift in and out of sleep). And he worked super hard wrangling all the kids AND making a big, yummy breakfast. He was juggling pancakes, bacon, sausage, and our hungry, hungry baby all at once when I came upstairs this morning. We ate with my sis and her kids, sent them off to Phoenix and worked on cleaning up.

A little bit later we boldly decided to head to Las Vegas--something that sounded like a lot of fun--a temple visit, a yummy dinner, and a snuggle with my delicious new niece. All good things.

But my kids were not cooperating today. They weren't very fun in the car and pushed my patience threshold above and beyond.

And my hubby and I got in a stupid fight about not being ready to head out as quick as I had hoped. We were communicating poorly all morning and things kept coming out in meaner tones than we intended. It was really my fault--Joseph had been doing kind things all morning and yet I was finding flaws. I hate it when I do that...and it takes me a long time to admit that's what I'm doing--I am stubborn that way.

Enough of the whining. I had to get it out and be done with it. So, done and done.

Special thanks to those who did make today feel less ordinary. I really appreciate your extra efforts--a quick call or message mean a lot to this gal.

And Heid--Sadie melted my crotchety old heart. She is perfect and such a beauty. It was lovely to meet her today (and see you and your cute family. You guys were the perfect ending to our crazy day). And GLEE is awesome. It is helping me unwind right this moment!

8 comments:

Krista said...

Ahhhh!!! I remembered while I was on the plane and then I've been really deliriously tired all day! In fact, I just BARELY unpacked everything. I feel like it took hours.

Happy happy birthday!! It's too late to call but I will tell you what, I loved this post because it's just real life. That's all there is to it. Sure, it would be great to have everything work out perfectly on your special day but you know...life throws crazy stuff and kiddos add to the mix of course. I hope you know you are soooo special to me and I loved the honesty of the post because I do that too with my hubby sometimes, and all the sudden I have to do a major step back and re-evaluate. However, I will say I don't know how our hubbies do it without us. right? Love you Care and love and hugs from our family!

Flori said...

much love to your inbox is coming soon! Loved the honesty of this and I can relate too. Rob had to go out of town on my birthday last week and I threw a fit about it. HOw am I supposed to be queen for a day if I'm also the only parent (slave!)?

Maggie said...

Happy, happy birthday. I'm a loser for never calling you. I didn't even look at the date yesterday. I too, love the honesty of this post. Life is hard sometimes and I sometimes think that the pressure of wanting to have a perfect day can make everything cave in.

But... i hope that you feel the birthday joy all this week and that today will be a perfect day. We love you and are so happy you are in our family.

Heidi said...

I am sorry it didn't feel super special sis! I do really appreciate the effort you guys made to come say hello and meet my tiny lady. And Max slept great last night, I think because he was worn out from Beans and Cares. He sure loves them. And I love you!

Carol said...

I can totally relate to your day...I just had one like this last week. Hooray for NEW days and fresh starts. BTW, Happy Birthday, you old lady!!! :)

Bobbi said...

Carrie, I'm so sorry it wasn't a better day. Sadly, too many days turn out like that, great expectations and then not-so-special after all. In 60 years, I have found that being the grown-up birthday girl just isn't thrillingly fun like when you were a kid. So, you just take the other days in your life that were amazing (just not on your b-day)and recall them with delight--Hawaii, etc. As for the crankiness, I so hate when I do that, too. I try hard to not do it, but out it comes. A hard thing to overcome, for sure. I am so glad you did get to see Sadie, despite the horror of the drive and naughty kids. Those tiny newborns are miraculous and beautiful. Love you tons.

Lizzy said...

HAPPY Birthday sweet Carrie! I am so sorry it wasn't the perfect day! Somehow those days hit and it is so hard when they happen to be on one of those "special" days. Love you! Happy Birthday!
P.S. Thank goodness for nice husbands that forgive so quickly! No one else but Matt could handle me on my crabby days.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that your day was like this. I loved being a part of your birthday morning and would have loved to shower a little more attention and affection your way that day but a long car ride took me away from celebrating you.

Maybe I have enough love for you to make up for those that forgot. Isn't it sad when it is always the same ones? Hard to feel loved when that happens. But you are truly and deeply loved Care and I feel so blessed to call you my sister and my friend.