Sunday, January 10, 2010

Just Wondering

Because I am leaving for Hawaii in 4 days...

...should I pack my own blow dryer?

I know the hotel will have one but it won't be a good one. And my experiences in the past have taught me that nothing really works the same as my own stuff. But I will be in Hawaii--hot, humid island air will just mess with my normal hair anyway. One less item to pack means one more pair of shoes I can fit in...


...how detailed of a list/schedule should I leave for the grandmas who'll be babysitting my kids?

I just talked to my mom about this and she told me "the more detailed the better." And earlier in the evening Ruth Ann reminded me to make her a list of the best ways to soothe Olivia when she is feeling sad. So I now know what to do on this front. But, honestly, both my mother-in-law and mother have raised a lot more kids than I ever have--13 collectively--so I am sure they know what they are doing. I will feel less helpless knowing I have left behind some kind of "survival guide" if things get really sticky.

And I am simply a phone call away if there are any questions--oh, the beauty of cell phones!

Mom, Ruth Ann--please feel free to call anytime. Really. I may be snorkeling or hiking or in a helicopter over active volcanoes so I may not pick-up right away. But I promise to return any and all phone calls.


...should I listen to The Lovely Bones or The Time Traveler's Wife while on vacation?

I read TT Wife about 2 years ago and fell in love with that story. And am I huge fan of rereading my favorite novels. On the other hand, I have never read Bones and feel like diving into something new--but not if it will depress and sadden me. I want something beautiful and uplifting while I am supposed to be relaxing and enjoying myself. What do you recommend (and these are my 2 choices because Joseph already has the audio files...but I always love good book recommendations...)

And happy birthday to my totally adorable nephew who is exactly 1 year old today! I sure love that little man--he is such a happy and friendly boy who totally adores his buddy Livs. One year ago I saw that beautiful baby being born--what a miracle. Connor turning 1 means my own gorgeous girl will be 1 in 5 1/2 weeks. Too, too fast for me...







Connor in May at his baby blessing, and last month playing with Livs.


10 comments:

Krista said...

Oh so fun. Forget the dryer I swear I never used mine. I would pull my hair back in fancy up dos that actually weren't fancy but I get frizzy hair when I do my hair so who cares. I'm so jealous of you guys. My parent's leave tom. for maui and I'm jealous of them too. Haven't read lovely bones. My mom really liked it...but I tried once to get into it and didn't like it...TT wife is good too but be careful of that naughty word in there. Am I helpful or what? sorry. I'm reading "the help" right now and really loving that. I have tons of books on audio. I should give some to you sometime.

Bobbi said...

Don't take the dryer! And really, I know you are the shoe woman, but what do you need in Hawaii but flip flops? (oh, wait, I think I took 7 pairs of shoes to Oahu last Feb...) At least they don't take up much room. The Lovely Bones is less depressing than you would think, but disturbing none the less. Hmmm. It was a good book. I don't know. Hawaii is not a place for downer stories! Yes, leave details, because, altho RA and I have raised a lot of little ones, only you know Your little ones--their habits, their joys, their breaking points, their special things to soothe them. I so hope Livs will love us. We're not a bit worried about Bean and Cares, can't wait to play with them!
Have a glorious time! Aloha!

Heidi said...

Mom and Ruth Ann may have had more kids than you however neither of them is Olivia's mom and you are the one that knows her best. Leaving a detailed list is a good idea I think.

No on the blow dryer. Just use the one they have or wear ponytails with headbands or flowers tucked behind your ear.

Did Connor have a party?

Soooo excited for you guys!

Kristin Sokol said...

No on the blow dryer. No matter what you bring, it won't be normal because of the humidity. Have a great time!

Carol said...

I know that everyone said no on the dryer, but I say YES! I, and you too, have TONS of hair and there is nothing more aggravating then trying to blow your hair dry for a nice night out with a blow dryer that is wimpy.
Also, Matt and I are leaving for our cruise in 11 days and I am having the same issues with info for babysitter...mine is my mom as well. I say the more the better. Also, I have always saved the kids' schedule/info for each of our vacations and they are really fun to go back and read how much my kids have changed from year to year.
I hope you have a FABULOUS time! There is nothing like traveling to a sunny spot when it is cold and dreary. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I am always tempted to take the hair dryer because I can't stand wimpy dryers. But, how many times are you going to blow dry your hair in the 5 days that you are there? Between the humidity and being in and out of the water/ocean, maybe it isn't worth it to lug the dryer along. Besides, do you have to pay for your luggage?

List anything and everything you can think of for the grandmas. They don't know the ins and outs like you do for your children so it will be helpful.

Reading books? I can't even remember what that is like! I need to get to Hawaii just to have time to read.

Thanks for the sweet birthday wishes for my boy. It seems like just recently we were sick preggos together. I am looking forward to our joint birthday party for the two mushers!

Heidi C said...

Just recently doing the same thing you are doing this is all fresh on my mind. I would leave the dryer and leave lots of tips for the caregivers, you will feel more comfortable knowing you did all you could before you left. Have fun, it is so good to spend time with your hubby enjoy every minute you don't have to cook a meal and change a diaper! I read "3 cups of tea" and if you don't read it this trip you should read it some time, it was an inpiring book!

Flori said...

I recently read "The Help" and "The Book Thief"--both awesome. The Help is lighter reading. Book THief is a Holocaust book, but not as depressing as you might think. What, you don't want to dive into Dickens while you're on the beach? Have fun!!!

Mariposa said...

no on the blow dryer. i always take mine thinking I'll use it and never do. Lovely bones is a bit disturbing, but might be fun to read before you see the movie. I'm reading "the thirteenth tale" right now and I really like it. It is an intriguing story of a famous author and her final, "truthful" tale she tells a biographer. I can't wait to see how it ends. (it's sort of a mysterious story....)

Katherine said...

Have fun. Don't take the dryer. Make it a TRUE VACATION!!! Leave details, not your number. Just kidding, but do leave details. Every child is so different, and our moms (more than anyone else) love our babies enough to care to do things as close to the way you do them as possible. Have fun and sleep!! :)