Saturday, January 16, 2010

Adventures in Paradise

We started the day very early (leaving here at 7:00 am) and drove about 50 miles down the coast so we could do this:

After kayaking on both Kauai and Maui we have decided we are quite the kayaking pros :)

We loaded our kayak into the water and paddled out to Kealakekua Bay to experience the highly acclaimed "state's best snorkeling." They were not kidding--it was an amazing experience, with crystal clear water, a huge reef, and hundreds and hundreds of colorful, beautiful fish. Bentley would have been in heaven there and I kept thinking about him and what he would try and tell us with his snorkel in his mouth. He is our little fish for sure (which he gets from his Dad.)


After an hour of snorkeling, we parked our kayak up on the shore and hiked around the edge of the island a bit.


We see tons of messages in white rocks all over the lava fields here so decided to make these for our little ones back at home. We miss their sweet snuggles and happy faces so much.We keep talking about how we can get all 5 of us back here sometime next year...we shall see...

poor little crab...he was all dried up and already dead, but still so vivid against the black rock


When we got back to the hotel we rested by the pool--a daily ritual the past 3 days.

And last night we drove into Kona for dinner and a temple session. It was so lovely to be there with my hubby and a handful of local saints. I love the temple and how easy it is to feel at home there even when we are so far away.



5 comments:

Bobbi said...

I want to go back to little grass shack
In Kealakekua, Hawai`i
I want to be with all the kanes and wahines
That I used to know long ago


I learned that song in 6th grade! Google it for the rest of the lyrics--I wonder if i-Tunes has it? I'm glad to hear it is beautiful and really exists! Sounds like a wonderful day and vaca. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

FUN FUN FUN! Love all the pictures and the updates. Seems like forever ago that you were eating dinner here (even though it was only Tuesday night).

That sunshine looks so heavenly, especially as I look out my window to the gray smog. YUCK! Enjoy your time in that tropical, warm air!

Heidi said...

Kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, pool lounging, and temple- that sounds like quite the full day and I am totally jealous! I am taking notes on all this in case someday I make it to the Big Island. Love that you are thinking of the littlies so much, Ben and I always do that too when we are away from Max.

Krista said...

I love that you went kayaking! What an adventure. And the snorkeling sounds fabulous and resting afterwards...sigh. It sounds so wonderful.

Katherine said...

The big island is my absolute favorite. If you have a little time, go see my favorite beach in the WHOLE WORLD--Pololu Beach. It is just a little drive straight north of you to the very end of the road (the 270), then a 20 minute hike down into the Pololu Valley to the black sand beach. It is GORGEOUS and remote and well worth a 1/2 day trip there. It feels wild and untouched and it is truly memorable. HAVE FUN!!! So much to do and see on the Big Island!!! ALOHA!