Monday, June 9, 2008

Brand New Marine

Here he is America--one of our nation's newest Marines after graduating from 13 weeks of boot camp. Isn't he handsome?
Marshall's Platoon

It was quite an event for me to attend Marshall's graduation this past weekend. I sat there in the stands and looked out on the 370 men graduating that week and my heart was filled with so much gratitude. There they were, looking strong and tailored and disciplined to a 'T', all prepared to give their lives for our country--for me. I took it quite personally. And knowing that my own little brother was out there among them gave me so much pride. I am in awe of those Marines I saw last Friday and will forever be changed by knowing what all young soldiers go through in order to gain that title. It was an honor for me to be in their midst and even more amazing to head out with the crowd at the end of the ceremony and put my arms around one of them in a tight, loving hug. My Bentley sure loved that moment too...and hardly let Marsh out of his site for the rest of the weekend :) Congratulations Marshall, and thank you for letting me be part of something so powerful. You are a fine Marine little brother, and a fine man.

Can you see Marshall? Back row, third from the left, sporting the glasses :)
at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot just before the graduation ceremony began
MCRD San Diego, CA, June 6, 2008

7 comments:

Team Gilmore said...

Holy cow little (or not so little anymore) Marsh. That just blows my mind Care. Please give him a big hello and congratulations from me. Marsh always has a soft spot with me. What does he do next?

Anonymous said...

I am sure your efforts to be there were greatly appreciated. That graduation was a once in a lifetime experience for all in attendance! Love how happy your little ones are to be in Marshie's presence again!

Our little brother has really grown up in 3 months...he looks so handsome in his uniform!

Heidi said...

I got a tear in my eye seeing these pics! Marsh is so brave and I too am grateful for all those who sacrifice in our behalf. I love the picture of Marsh with Beans.

Krista said...

wahoo marsh! that is so awesome. I'm so glad your whole family could go too. That was a good decision.

Krista said...

men look so much more handsome in uniform don't they?

Braun Family said...

we love you, marsh!

Bobbi said...

It was so wonderful of you guys to come down to support Marshall on this important day. I know he was deeply grateful, and so happy to be surrounded by loving family and darling little ones after those grueling months. It was a memorable and fun week-end together.