Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ingrid & Joshua

Joseph surprised me with a late Valentine's date night this Thursday: Ingrid Michaleson and Joshua Radin in concert. We happened upon Ingrid's music from hearing it on Grey's Anatomy last year and Joshua's from watching Scrubs reruns (I know, total TV nerd alert :) Anyway, the night was very fun--mostly because we had a) great company: Mike and Lydia Metcalf and Doug Freiss from Joe's work and Joe's little bro Bob and his date, and 2) Ingrid is darling and a fabulous live performer. Sadly, I can't say much in Joshua's favor. He is a great musician and songwriter and I really like his breathy singing voice but he was such a mood killer. I swear the poor guy is clinically depressed because every single song he sang was about love not working out and every time he introduced a new song he told a tale of crying and heartbreak and blah blah blah... and then played each sad, slow song. It's too bad because he has some really great songs that are fun and upbeat like These Photographs and Only You but he didn't include them in his set list. To his credit he did play a great song, The Fear You Won't Fall, as his opener and then Sky as a duet with Ingrid as his final number (click here to hear it on his myspace page). I am obsessed with Sky lately and so I have to admit it was worth it to stay through his set just for that fantastic little tune--such a fun one to sing along to as I drive around town :)

I have now realized I would download anything by Ingrid. She is very real and has an original sound with cute, quirky lyrics in her songs. And I would love to see her again live--she has a great rapport with the audience and is just really likable. My faves from her are Breakable, The Way I Am, and Far Away. And for now I will just keep enjoying Joshua "Rad-in" or "Ray-din" (or however you say it) on my mix CD's. Here's to hoping the kid finds true love soon so he can start singing some happier songs!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

They are playing in San Fran on April 11 and I would love to go but I think that is just too close to my due date. I have to admit I got really sick of that one Ingrid song after it was on the Old Navy commercial, but I like all her other stuff.

Anonymous said...

What a fun review of your night! Too bad Joshua was such a Debbie Downer (waah, waah) and sad that he didn't sing the favorites. I haven't heard Sky so I will find it. Ingrid's music is great...I am a big fan.

Krista said...

that sounds way fun but sorry about radin that's too funny that he needs some love. I love to hear about new artists that I don't know of like Ingrid.

mikemetcalf said...

It was fun hanging "out" and getting kicked back in with you guys. Are you going to go see her again when she comes in April?